Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am Bi-forum and proud.

Options

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    If Village Idiot posts a cook that I like, I don't resent it or you because you consider this to be a better forum, I just like your cook - your forum preferences are irrelevant to me
    But, you would never link it back on the other forum.  That has never been done., but the opposite is done daily.
    well I'm not sure what you're talking about there as I haven't been here long enough to observe any pattern, but in the grander scheme of things I still don't understand why there is any animosity going in either direction.  Anyone on the old forum that bad mouths this forum is as pitiful as the reverse, at the end of the day these are internet bbq forums not saving people from death by throat cancer forums, why there is ever any genuine anger/animosity among members has simply fascinated me from day one
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Zippylip said:
    If Village Idiot posts a cook that I like, I don't resent it or you because you consider this to be a better forum, I just like your cook - your forum preferences are irrelevant to me
    But, you would never link it back on the other forum.  That has never been done., but the opposite is done daily.
    well I'm not sure what you're talking about there as I haven't been here long enough to observe any pattern, but in the grander scheme of things I still don't understand why there is any animosity going in either direction.  Anyone on the old forum that bad mouths this forum is as pitiful as the reverse, at the end of the day these are internet bbq forums not saving people from death by throat cancer forums, why there is ever any genuine anger/animosity among members has simply fascinated me from day one
    I agree, Zippy.  We should talk. This is far more complex than meets the eye.  
    If interested, email at g a r y . e . w i l l s o n @ g m a i l . c o m 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2012
    Options
    FWIW, I think the hard feelings are directed here from the old guard. I think the members here don't even know there is another egg-specific site, didn't even know there was a "split", visit both or stay here because they prefer the format.

I haven't tried to link back there, but I don't want to try because I've been warned not to.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Are we not in the minutea of SFA here?.  C'mon guys be the better man or woman

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options
    C'mon guys be the better man or woman
    Make up your mind, L.S. You're 'bi".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Options

Not much dude. The newbs are here and that is why I hang around. I got my first egg in '97 and the guy told me to stuff newspaper in the lower vent to light it. I found the other forum in '96 and got a ton of help. Try and pay it forward bud. Like to have a laugh sometimes too. I hate Cen-Tex though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm tri-curious, but now I only put meat on this grill!

Tri-curious....you're freaky.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm sure this is exactly what Mickey had in mind when he started this thread

Not much dude. The newbs are here and that is why I hang around. I got my first egg in '97 and the guy told me to stuff newspaper in the lower vent to light it. I found the other forum in '96 and got a ton of help. Try and pay it forward bud. Like to have a laugh sometimes too. I hate Cen-Tex though

I'm going to the other forum 100% anyway. Too many Canadians here for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    edited October 2012
    Options

Not much dude. The newbs are here .....

This is what pisses me off. The "newbs" here probably have a 10+ years of offset smoking or gasser grilling experience.  A few lessons of controlling temperature on the BGE puts them on par with the "old guard".   I have seen far more innovative cooks here than any other forum I lurk at.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Options

Oh there is a bunch over there dude. That's why I left

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

yeah, but I'm signing up as Tweev-*Tip_. If it's still avaiable
  • Little Steven
    Options

Not much dude. The newbs are here .....

This is what pisses me off. The "newbs" here probably have a 10+ years of offset smoking or gasser grilling experience.  A few lessons of controlling temperature on the BGE puts them on par with the "old guard".   I have seen far more innovative cooks here than any other forum I lurk at.

Can you say pisses on a family forum? I agree with what you said but there are folks that come on with no idea of what to do. That being said you have fantastic taste in South American granite

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    edited October 2012
    Options

Can you say pisses on a family forum? 
    I am so sorry, Steve.  I forgot you are from the other forum.
    What I meant to say is that you "pee pee" me off (or you #1 me off).  I hope that is acceptable.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• DawgDays
    Options
    BGE and forum newbie here. VI is 100% correct above. I smoked, grilled, and roasted on offsets for years (never gassers -- the horror!) and simply coveted the egg with puppy eyes every time I went to Ace. Many newbies here aren't simply starting at square one.

I found this forum by way of the BGE official website, as I suspect 95% of new members do. I lurked for a few weeks before joining. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a place to hang with friendly, knowledgeable, and like-minded folks. That's it, plain and simple.

From what I've seen, this forum meets those requirements and I'm glad I finally joined and started posting. The fact that the "old guard" website harbors any animosity towards us makes me glad that they're not on this forum. Seriously -- those old guard members who don't "go both ways" like Zippy can keep their forum and their elitist attitude. As I said above, my first requirement was "friendly".

Speaking of Zippy: w-o-w those pumpkin posts were impressive. I'm grateful you're switch-hitting.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Can you say pisses on a family forum? 
    I am so sorry, Steve.  I forgot you are from the other forum.
    What I meant to say is that you "pee pee" me off (or you #1 me off).  I hope that is acceptable.
    Um' you are from the "other forum" too in actual fact

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    DawgDays said:
    BGE and forum newbie here. VI is 100% correct above. I smoked, grilled, and roasted on offsets for years (never gassers -- the horror!) and simply coveted the egg with puppy eyes every time I went to Ace. Many newbies here aren't simply starting at square one.

I found this forum by way of the BGE official website, as I suspect 95% of new members do. I lurked for a few weeks before joining. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a place to hang with friendly, knowledgeable, and like-minded folks. That's it, plain and simple.

From what I've seen, this forum meets those requirements and I'm glad I finally joined and started posting. The fact that the "old guard" website harbors any animosity towards us makes me glad that they're not on this forum. Seriously -- those old guard members who don't "go both ways" like Zippy can keep their forum and their elitist attitude. As I said above, my first requirement was "friendly".

Speaking of Zippy: w-o-w those pumpkin posts were impressive. I'm grateful you're switch-hitting.
    Thanks for keeping it positive. Zip is a "switch hitter" BTW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

It's bannonated but you might try jen something

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

maybe I'll go with kingofthedbags?
  • DawgDays
    Options
    DawgDays said:

Oh I see how that wording was confusing -- I meant "...those who don't go both ways, like Zip..." Not grouping him w/ the others.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DawgDays said:
    DawgDays said:

Oh I see how that wording was confusing -- I meant "...those who don't go both ways, like Zip..." Not grouping him w/ the others.
    It was all pretty clear to me. Not confusing at all.

• Little Steven
    Options

maybe I'll go with kingofthedbags?
    From what I know of you dude Queen of the hose bags, or as we say up here, hosers, might be better

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    DawgDays said:
    DawgDays said:

Thanks for clarifying that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I rarely visit the other forum. Mainly because I'm lazy and don't like the format.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    this forum is WAYY better
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Boys and girls most missed the whole damn point. All I was getting at with two forums and 98% very good people on each forum we can enjoy both or NOT. But they are there for anyone (like me) who would like them. I see no reason to trash one or the other. This is like watching an old WWII movie where the Army and Navy are in the same bar.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Mickey said:
    This is like watching an old WWII movie where the Army and Navy are in the same bar.
    You got something against the Army, sailor boy?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Options
    No Sir. Buck Private here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Boys and girls most missed the whole damn point. All I was getting at with two forums and 98% very good people on each forum we can enjoy both or NOT. But they are there for anyone (like me) who would like them. I see no reason to trash one or the other. This is like watching an old WWII movie where the Army and Navy are in the same bar.

I like this site better because I believe there is more creative cooking done here, but I have learned over there also.

Mickey, I went to the other site just now and read the same thread there.  What I failed to read was you preaching to them with the above post like you did here even though they are bashing this site also.  The point of the OP was a good one, but if you preach to one site for doing something the other site is doing as well, then many people will dismiss your opinions.

Share the preaching/love with both sites.  Don't worry or be scared, the old guard won't hold a grudge against you.  Or I hope not.

• Mickey
    Options
    @eggerinLA I have not had a chance. I have no worries on someone holding a grudge at this point in life. Glad you learned something over there. That's the point.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    All I can ask is, what would stike say?