Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Grill Wire Brush?

cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any thoughts/suggestions?

I've always just grabbed whatever they had at Costco or similar and used them.  However, as I was using mine today, it dawned on me that I really don't like the design with it being hard to get to the corners along with some other issues.  Has anyone found a well designed  brush they really like?
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Wire will break off your brush, get stuck to the grate, and then implant its self in your food. 

DO NOT USE WIRE BRUSHES. Use tin foil balls to clean your grate. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • +1 for Travis.  Lots of horror stories.  It's not worth it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use the Weber one posted above and it doesn't flatten out and fall apart like the cheap ones. I believe it's cheper at home depot than on amazon for some reason.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Travis and VI are correct. No wire.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    I've heard the issues with wire brushes, but I'm pretty sure I would feel a wire in/on my food as I was eating it.  I also do a pretty good visual inspection after I brush.  I find a wire here and there, but just knock it off into the coals.  Frankly, wire brushes have been used for probably 50+ years and only recently have we been alerted to the horrors?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • cssmd27 said:
    I've heard the issues with wire brushes, but I'm pretty sure I would feel a wire in/on my food as I was eating it.  I also do a pretty good visual inspection after I brush.  I find a wire here and there, but just knock it off into the coals.  Frankly, wire brushes have been used for probably 50+ years and only recently have we been alerted to the horrors?
    I used to feel the same way as you do......until I had one of those wire bristles got caught in my throat for a couple of hours. It was not fun trying to clear it from my throat.

I recommend and only used the Big Green Egg grill cleaner on all my grills now.

• cssmd27 said:

I used to feel the same way as you do......until I had one of those wire bristles got caught in my throat for a couple of hours. It was not fun trying to clear it from my throat.

I recommend and only used the Big Green Egg grill cleaner on all my grills now.