Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn Help

Bluedawg357
Bluedawg357 Posts: 12
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I came across the term clean burn on here and as I understand it, it is done to clean the grill. I couldn't find any suggestions on how to do one. Could some one tell me how to do one on a small. Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Step 1. Fill Egg with lump.

Step 2. Remove daisy wheel and open bottom vent all the way.

Step 3. Light your Egg.

Step 4. Put anything you want cleaned like your platesetter inside the Egg and close lid.

Step 5. Wave "Good-Bye" to your gasket.

Step 6. Enjoy the fire show.

Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks FredFlinstone. How long should I let it burn
  • All the way.

Flint, Michigan
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    I have had some success with a burn at about 500, PS legs up, for an hour or two, and I still have the original gasket. But that's just me.
    LBGE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Don't forget to throw greasy grid, daisy wheels, whatever needs cleaning in (as long as it can take the heat).  If you're also cleaning ceramics like a platesetter or stone, remember that anything that blocks the flame (like a grid) interferes with the cleaning.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good point doc.  If you go over 700-800, anything seasoned will need to be seasoned again.  That temp ashes the seasoning from cast iron, grates, etc..
    Good point doc.  If you go over 700-800, anything seasoned will need to be seasoned again.  That temp ashes the seasoning from cast iron, grates, etc..
    Later that burn, or the next, just get it warm and spray with PAM.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Is there any major advantages to clean burning?
  • Step 1. Fill Egg with lump.

Step 2. Remove daisy wheel and open bottom vent all the way.

Step 3. Light your Egg.

Step 4. Put anything you want cleaned like your platesetter inside the Egg and close lid.

Step 5. Wave "Good-Bye" to your gasket.

Step 6. Enjoy the fire show.

When you say fill up with lump do you mean to the top of the fire ring? A hot pizza cook always gets the firebox clean.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I just did a clean burn recently after several low and slow cooks of ribs and a butt.  The inside of my egg gets nasty, and I like to clean it out before it affects the flavor of other cooks, like chicken or pizza.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just in case you did not catch "STEP 5" of Austin Egghead wave good-by to your gasket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I am really nervous about a clean burn.  My ceramic stone is full of oil/grease and may just end up buying a new one.

What are the bad affects if any of not cleaning out the egg?  Will it eventually get so bad that it will affect the flavor of the food coming off of it?

I live in a residential neighborhood and tried a burn last week but too much smoke.  Allot of members said to do it at night but there was allot of smoke coming out of the egg,.  My egg is only ~ 10 feet from my house on the lawn and about 3 feet from a wooden deck that is elevated higher than the egg. I am afraid of sparks/embers hitting the house/deck with a high heat burn.  I can not move the egg as it is on the lawn and can not be rolled.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:
    I am really nervous about a clean burn.  My ceramic stone is full of oil/grease and may just end up buying a new one.

What are the bad affects if any of not cleaning out the egg?  Will it eventually get so bad that it will affect the flavor of the food coming off of it?

I live in a residential neighborhood and tried a burn last week but too much smoke.  Allot of members said to do it at night but there was allot of smoke coming out of the egg,.  My egg is only ~ 10 feet from my house on the lawn and about 3 feet from a wooden deck that is elevated higher than the egg. I am afraid of sparks/embers hitting the house/deck with a high heat burn.  I can not move the egg as it is on the lawn and can not be rolled.
    I live in a townhouse(middle unit) and have my egg in a nest that sits approximately 18-24 inches from vinyl siding. I have done multiple pizza cooks and 2 or 3 clean burns without issue. In addition, having the plate-setter/pizza stone in to clean as well will also dampen the sparks from flying. If your bottom vent faces the decking, just keep the screen closed or get one of those grill mats from Lowes/HD/anywhere that sells grills. Lastly, at that high of heat, I would expect the smoke to dissipate rather quickly.
  • Mickey
    I burn mine off on the trex deck all the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    If you're worried about sparks or fire, then attend to it when you're doing a clean burn.

I don't do dedicated clean burns because I do pizzas about once a month and the warmup is basically a clean burn.
    Should the thermometer be removed while doing the burn? I read on the forum that it may kill it.
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Hashmaker said:
    Should the thermometer be removed while doing the burn? I read on the forum that it may kill it.
    There's no need to burn so hot you roll over your thermometer.  If you plan on letting it burn full out and rolling the dial over, yes, pull it out. 

700-750 F if fine for a cleanout burn.  All the stuff like fat is long gone.  If you go to 1100-1200, you'll have a completely bone-white interior.  But probably no gasket left.  And your food won't taste any better and the inside will get black again after the next cook, so I don't see the point of going that hot.

I had the grill up to 600 and the smoke pouring out was bad.  my yard and the neighboring yards were full of smoke.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Hashmaker said:
    There's no need to burn so hot you roll over your thermometer.  If you plan on letting it burn full out and rolling the dial over, yes, pull it out. 

700-750 F if fine for a cleanout burn.  All the stuff like fat is long gone.  If you go to 1100-1200, you'll have a completely bone-white interior.  But probably no gasket left.  And your food won't taste any better and the inside will get black again after the next cook, so I don't see the point of going that hot.

Very good point.

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    robnybbq said:
    I had the grill up to 600 and the smoke pouring out was bad.  my yard and the neighboring yards were full of smoke.
    they can all move, you're being too nice :)

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    well I did a sort of a clean burn yesterday minus the ceramic indirect stone (adjustable rig).  That thing is still covered in grease from that brisket cook.  Did the burn with the firebox 1/2 filled with lump and the smell was nasty.  Allot of smoke at first then it stopped a little.  Only got the temps to ~650.  When the egg got to 600 the top of the egg exterior was pouring out liquid that I had to keep wiping up,  Nasty stuff..

My next adventure is to probably just get a new indirect stone.

Garnerville, NY