Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of clean burn.

Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, it was an accident... I merely wanted to get the grease off the grid but I forgot about it for nearly 30 min.  Grease was gone... and so was 3yrs. worth of creosote and carbon... That's not ash...That's white ceramic... First time I've seen it in 3 yrs!

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I did that once and came out to a fused shut gasket. It also does wonders to clean your plate setter.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    That Rutland looks good.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I didn't even notice that, they are tough no doubt about it.
  • Yea, how hot?? I just did one around 600 for hours just letting the fire go out and do not have anywhere near that result. I have the same hapster is talking about.

XLBGE 
  • Deckhand
    The Tel-Tru was on its 2nd. lap... 1100°.  The Rutland was undamaged but there was a 4"-5" area near the hinge with nothing securing it to the ceramic.  The gasket had slipped inward when I closed the dome during the installation of the Rutland.  It continued to work fine for a couple of years... I made several cleaning burns as hot as this one over that period.  (I HATE scrubbing grids).  This time, however, I noticed that the Permatex was missing from that area.  Have cooked on it since... Could simply add more Permatex and push the gasket into it but I have a small air leak there and around the lower vent so I'd like to replace the gasket and seal everything tight.  Plan to put a ring of Rutland arount the exhaust (like the Kamado Joe) to hold the rain cap and DFMT securely.  Easy to find air leaks when you're using a Guru... Just close the DFMT nearly all the way and look for the smoke.   
  • Deckhand
    Oh yeah,  I use the Hi-Que fire grate... Temperature rises MUCH more quickly because of the increased air flow... You can hear the air rushing through the egg.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    hapster said:

How hot? I've let mine sit, top and vent wide open for a few hours at 600 or so and never gotten results like that. The fire box looks new; but above that everything is still black.

+1

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    would the nomex gasket get fried at those temps??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It should be fine unless you have the plate setter legs down, which diverts heat and hot gas directly at the gasket.  If you dome temp says 700, the gasket temp is significantly cooler.  I'm sure there's a limit.  Dump 15 pounds of lump in a clean egg and run it full open until lump is gone.  I don't think the nomex would handle that too many times.
    thanks nolaegghhead appreciate it
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Looks good but may be a bit of overkill.....
    LBGE
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I made turbo babybacks last night and tried doing a clean burn after the ribs were done.  I had it up around 600-700 for at least an hour, and I still have flaky black crud all over the inside of the dome.  Maybe I'll go fire it up again with some lump we didn't like and just let it go as hot as it can manage until it burns itself out.