Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

stuffed red pears & some other things

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

another repost, some fun with bacon & fruit and of course a few pies:

My wife made a stuffed pork loin last week which required about 6 ounces of blue cheese, so she bought a giant (24oz) Sam’s Club tub of it . I’ve since been trying to work it into everything. Picked up a couple of red pears, peeled, cut in half, scooped out the center then stuffed with cheese & walnuts, wrapped in bacon & grilled indirect with some cherry. We ate two for lunch then used the leftovers for a pizza topping:

For the pizza, chill the pears first for easier slicing:

While cooking the pears I also made a few thighs for lunches this week & ended up shredding two for a hot wing pie. The thighs are simply rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper then grilled indirect, shredded & tossed with hot sauce & onto the pie with the mozzarella & blue cheese:

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,822
    Inspiring.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,978
    Genius!
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 266
    Those pears are innovative. Are you from Oregon? They would be at home there. Nice.
    LBGE
    ·
  • Zippy I love all the posts.  You are giving me lots of ideas.  Thanks.
    ·
  • Stuffed pears wrapped in bacon... Consider it done!  Thank you for the ideas!   :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,438
    Starting some as we speak....or as I Swype.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Had some cream cheese/Colby jack with jalapeno left over. Stuffed the pears, wrapped with bacon. Awesome. Thanks zip.
    ·
    The family couldn't get over how good they were. The flavors really compliment each other. Thanks.
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    DocWonmug said:
    Those pears are innovative. Are you from Oregon? They would be at home there. Nice.

sort of, I'm right next to the horsebarn on the corner of Oakborne and Little Shiloh Road, about 3000 miles south east of Oregon :D
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    henapple said:
    Had some cream cheese/Colby jack with jalapeno left over. Stuffed the pears, wrapped with bacon. Awesome. Thanks zip.
    lookin good, hope you had some nuts to stuff in there, that really makes it nice
    ·
    Zippylip said:

henapple said:

lookin good, hope you had some nuts to stuff in there, that really makes it nice

Bought them and remembered my son can't have walnuts....still great though. Creative.
    ·