Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first low & slow

Options
Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited October 2012 in Pork
Two 8 lb. Boston butts rubbed with spices and just getting started on the Big Green Egg at 250° indirect with lots of hickory smoking wood chips in a cast iron smoking box. In about 14 hours we'll have some awesome pulled pork.

I'll add more pictures as they progress.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm sure it will turn out great! Look forward to seeing the finished product!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looking forward to the results.  Usually don't use a smoking box with the Egg.  Just mix through the lump.  Interested to see your technique.  
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Nearing the halfway mark, my neighborhood smells AWESOME!

Hmmm... I thought about just putting the chips in the lump but thought that the moisture might be a bad thing for temperature control.

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Great success with an Egg once again! Looks good.

I put my wood in with the lump also. On a low and slow, I use chunks. I don't think there is a noticeable difference in temperature control with or without a few chunks of wood.
    LBGE
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    DocWonmug said:

Great success with an Egg once again! Looks good.

I put my wood in with the lump also. On a low and slow, I use chunks. I don't think there is a noticeable difference in temperature control with or without a few chunks of wood.
    +1
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Parallel
    Options
    They're done a little early so I double wrapped them in foil and towels and put them in a hot and cold bag. They'll only need to be there for a couple of hours so I'm hoping that will work. I think the reason they finished so early is that I struggled to get the egg below 300° for a few hours last night. I tried to compensate by getting it to 225° for a while then back up to 250°

Apparently I didn't use my head for something other than a hat rack and failed to think about a BBQ sauce to make. So, I'm going to thin down some sweet baby Ray's with beer for today.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! Nice job for your first low and slow!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Parallel
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks y'all.  :)

I collected and clarified the smokey goodness of the pork drippings from the drip pans. I foresee some awesome dishes including this ingredient in our future.

The result. Pulled pork sandwiches, this one protected by my Hecker & Koch P7. I'm having some people over tonight so the 14 lbs of pulled pork we still have won't last long.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I carry HK P30...great pistol.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Parallel
    Options
    Whoops... just realized I left out the "l".