Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to Commit a Sin

gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I had my knee replaced on Thursday the 11h and have not BBQed since. My wife brought home some flank steaks and I am about to go out and fire up the gasser. I can't remember the last time I used that thing. I thought about firing up the egg but I caved in to the convenience of the gasser for the fist time ever. Just a very short trip to the dark side I hope. Since I can't go to work for a while, I see some slow cooks in my near future. Can't wait to get back at it!!!
George

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Cheers, you get a mulligan. I'm doing physio right now to try and postpone surgery for a few years

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gte1
    I put it off for a few years because of my age, the last year plus I had cortisone shots every 3 months. My Dr. told me that I was going to tell him when it was time and he was right.
    George
  • Say three mea cuIpas and pet the egg.  I am trying to avoid surgery.  Good luck with the new knee.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    gte1 said:
    I put it off for a few years because of my age, the last year plus I had cortisone shots every 3 months. My Dr. told me that I was going to tell him when it was time and he was right.
    I've talked to two fellow eggheads who have had it done and they swear they wish they had done it sooner. When you say because of your age, I'm guessing you are on the young side for the procedure? I'm not that young but I understand they are only good for X number of years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gte1
    edited October 2012
    Say three mea cuIpas and pet the egg.  I am trying to avoid surgery.  Good luck with the new knee.

Thanks, it's sitting right next to the egg so it has to watch the whole proceedings. Almost two weeks of no use now this, probably thinks its being punished for something. That will teach it, for not crisping up that chicken skin.
    George
  • If the egg really get jealous then I would make sure and burp it well on its next cook.   :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gte1
    edited October 2012
    gte1 said:
    I've talked to two fellow eggheads who have had it done and they swear they wish they had done it sooner. When you say because of your age, I'm guessing you are on the young side for the procedure? I'm not that young but I understand they are only good for X number of years.

Steaks just came off and are resting, that thing really is easy to use. How old are you, steven? I am going to be 54 in a couple of months that's why I wanted to wait.
    George
  • Little Steven

I'm 57. Played goal in hockey and worked on my knees on concrete floors for 35 years. Strained both knees in a fall at work a year and a half ago and tore something.

The MRI showed some old injury that wasn't treated. The physio seems to be helping but I haven't been pain free since I fell.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited October 2012
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I've been thinking about what I should do with my gasser. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to buy a large cast iron griddle (or two) to use on the grill part so I can do cheesesteaks, eggs and other griddle type food. That way I can also keep it for the side burner as well which is a real plus in hurricane aftermath.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • gte1
    If you are able to function, and do the activities you like at a level you are happy with I would wait. Unfortunately the knee has a finite life span. The way I always looked at it was, every year I waited I bought a minimum of one year on the other end. If you wait 2 years and during that time technology is developed that extends the life of the prosthesis 3 years, you just bought 5 years. The worst thing is you get 1/1.
    George
  • Little Steven

That's what I'm thinking. Thank you. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

I fired up the gasser ( storage unit ) to toast some buns for the pulled pork sandwiches tonight, but out if respect to the green machine I put a cover over it. Get well soon  "gtel" 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @gte1, like the handle - is it relate to gentel?
    Anyway good luck with the knee, I have an upper joint I use as a bottle opener, great conversation piece. My Dad went through surgery at 70, added 10 years to his skiing.

I use my gasser all the time great warming oven and it is ideal for quick cooks. The egg is not concerned, she know she is #1 in my heart.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gte1
    Thanks Ellis. Nothing deep about the handle just my initials. Gasser sure was easy, but I used it as much because I didn't want to get myself all dirty using the egg. Turn knobs, flip meat vs. stir lump, grab new lump, fire up torch, dodge flying sparks, smoke up my clothes etc........I miss every bit of it.
    George