Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

mushroom lovers deep dish pizza

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,277
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

One of the benefits of living in the mushroom capital of the world is that every now & then the dude across the hall that hates mushrooms gives you a 10lb box that a client of his gave to him.  After distributing some to a couple other friends I hadda figure out how to cram the rest down my gullet before they went bad, & one good way was to saute a pile to top a standard deep dish.  My deep dish pies are pretty simple & not intended to be the Chicago variety.  Between this and a couple fritattas I am happy to say I've disposed of all the fungi.

first, 2 cups of flour, a pinch each of salt & yeast followed by 3/4 cups of water, knead for 15 minutes

leave in the bowl & cover until it doubles in size

here it is after a little more than 2 hours:

enough olive oil to coat the bottom nicely

lay the dough in

shower cap back on

meanwhile, slice up the shrooms

& fire up the egg

suate

till done, at the end throw in some minced garlic, salt & pepper

remove the shower cap & get ready to top it

mozzarella & some dried herbs first, all the way to the edge with the cheese so some of it gets nice & dark during cooking:

scoop all the shrooms on

onto the egg which is preheated to about 400-450, don't forget some spacers under the pan

about 25 minutes later

bring it in & remove to a screen to cool, don't want to interfere with the crispy fried bottom

then to a tray for slicing

follow of course by, the slicing

let the lava flow

bottom shot, nice golden brown, crispy, & plenty of flavor from the olive oil

a final shot

Have a nice weekend all, Marc

Comments