Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Should I cover my butt after rubbing?

ParallelParallel Posts: 416
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are going to try out first low and slow with a couple of Boston butts (17 lbs. between the two) and have just finished trimming and applying the rub. I want to start the cook at about 9PM and was wondering; should I cover the butts while they're in the refrigerator awaiting time to cook?

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    i normally wrap mine in plastic wrap then add more rub when i take them out 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,350
    Are you shooting for noon tomorrow?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I do the same.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    Thanks. We're going to cover the two in the half cooking sheet with press and seal and follow your advice about reapplying rub when they go on the egg.

·
    edited October 2012
    Yeah... about noon tomorrow, although it's not a big deal to us if they're done a couple hours before or after.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    Saturday night so I just couldn't resist the chance to compliment the post title-hopefully all will stay on theme-but if one should take turn down a dirt road...the title speaks to such an audible!  Enjoy the cook!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269
    If your rub has salt in it, that will draw moisture out of the meat.  According to Cook's Illustrated the salty water then migrates back into the meat, but osmosis does NOT work that way if I remember my high school biology correctly.  
    Regardless, I'd wrap the butts just to keep the moisture in, whether it migrates back in or stays on the surface.  Personally I always apply the rub just before putting the meat into the Egg.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    lousubcap said:

Saturday night so I just couldn't resist the chance to compliment the post title-hopefully all will stay on theme-but if one should take turn down a dirt road...the title speaks to such an audible!  Enjoy the cook!

Rub butt.dirt....really?

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    LOL... it's been that kind of day with my thread titles. I'm getting a LARGE ration at a special operations forum for using "spatchcock".
    :))

·