Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Chicken Awesomeness!

ParallelParallel Posts: 415
edited October 2012 in Poultry
I cooked my first spatchcock on my LBGE tonight for dinner. After some initial hand-wringing on my part due to my lack of an adjustable rack, I followed the advice found here on the forum to add less lump and cook as normal. After drying the spatchcocked chicken in the fridge for about 36 hours, I rubbed the chicken down with olive oil and spices then put it on the BGE at 350° direct for about an hour.

When the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165° in the breast and 190° in the thigh it's done.

This is without a doubt the moistest chicken I have EVER eaten. This will become a staple dish at our house.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Great-looking cook, but was that a handicapped chicken?  His one arm looks odd...  :D

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 415
    edited October 2012
    LOL... yeah. He was so tender that I broke his arm when I decided to flip to crisp up the skin some more.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 260
    Look!!  It's waving Bye Bye...  Nice cook.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    Welcome to spatchcock world.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    edited October 2012
    If you want to be ghetto fab like me when I first got my egg I would balance 4 beer cans on the fire ring to do raised direct. 6 months later no adj rig just a second grid and more beer cans. Learned that on the forum too. Nice looking bird though
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,029
    Great looking split bird, even if you did abuse it a bit..... 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·