Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Chicken Awesomeness!

ParallelParallel Posts: 412
edited October 2012 in Poultry
I cooked my first spatchcock on my LBGE tonight for dinner. After some initial hand-wringing on my part due to my lack of an adjustable rack, I followed the advice found here on the forum to add less lump and cook as normal. After drying the spatchcocked chicken in the fridge for about 36 hours, I rubbed the chicken down with olive oil and spices then put it on the BGE at 350° direct for about an hour.

When the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165° in the breast and 190° in the thigh it's done.

This is without a doubt the moistest chicken I have EVER eaten. This will become a staple dish at our house.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,026
    Great-looking cook, but was that a handicapped chicken?  His one arm looks odd...  :D

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 412
    edited October 2012
    LOL... yeah. He was so tender that I broke his arm when I decided to flip to crisp up the skin some more.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 259
    Look!!  It's waving Bye Bye...  Nice cook.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,113
    Welcome to spatchcock world.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    edited October 2012
    If you want to be ghetto fab like me when I first got my egg I would balance 4 beer cans on the fire ring to do raised direct. 6 months later no adj rig just a second grid and more beer cans. Learned that on the forum too. Nice looking bird though
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,559
    Great looking split bird, even if you did abuse it a bit..... 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·