Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp adjustments

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

This has happened to me very time I do a long cook.

I stabilized my egg, put in the drip pan and added 2 cans of beer, and added the meat. Of course with the lid open the thermo drops. It came back up but now is higher thanthe origianl setting of 275. I have pretty much closed the daisy wheel and the bottom vent is a 1/4 inch open and still no drop in temp.

I dont want to shut everything downa nd snuff the coals. What can I do to remedy this everytime I go low and slow.

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    How long has the lid been shut?  The fire is probably getting hotter from having so much air when the lid was open.  Then when you shut the lid the heat spikes.  It should go back down gradually.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • hondabbq

Lid was open for a few minutes I admit, but it was holding at just a hair under 300 and I kept closing the vent and saisy wheel and it would not drop.

Is it due to the temo of the steam? I dont have a Maverick to tell the grill temp so I assume the dome temp with the steam will be higher. But it makes me nervous to shut the vents etc to almost closed when doing this. I guess I need a grill temp to make sure.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    1/4" open at the bottom _should_ produce at least 275 dome. Expect a dome temp of 250 w. about 1/8". Late in along low/slow, the bottom vent mat be opened just a hair, likewise the top.

You're fine. Make some small adjustment, and give them time to take effect.

Most low cooks don't suffer from periods up to 300. The food is just cooked faster. That can be remedied with a bit of mopping.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It takes some time to really get the egg stabilized.  At least 45 minutes or so IMO.  After 15-20 minutes sometimes it seems pretty locked in at a certain setting; but the egg will continue to creep up.  So, I'm thinking maybe you weren't really stabilized before you put the drip pan/meat on.   I would suggest give it a little more time to stablize, or simply stabilize at 250 or so knowing it will probably eventually creep up. 

I think the liquid in the pan is actually going to bring down the temp.  The liquid can't get hotter than 212 or so, then it becomes steam.  I don't think the steam can get any hotter than the internal temp of the egg.  

Like gdenby said- don't sweat it too much.  Make an adjustment, walk away and come back in 15 minute.  It will get back down.  It's not a big deal if it creeps close to 300.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq

Ok so noticed there was no more steam coming out of the daisy wheel. I opened it up and the coals were still going but the drip pan was bone dry and burnt.

This is how I have it set up: coals, platesetter (legs up) drip pan with beer, grill, ribs.

I watched some videos and some put liquid and some dont. Some wrap in foil and some dont. I guess ill have to figure what works best.

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Opening up isn't helping you stabilize. 
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • This is what I set mine at to get pretty stabile 250*.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I should clarify...that adjustment gets me anywhere from 240 to 260. Just set it and forget it:)
  • hondabbq

When I took out my drip pan, the egg stayed at 260-275. I didnt adjust anything with the venting so I was spot on with the venting. That plateau at 300 get me every time.

By the way the ribs were super. I did foil them after 2.5 hours and sauced. I placed them in my v rack but he edges got a little crispy when I moved it too far over tto make room for the sweet potato. The non crispy ones were super good. Had a nice little pink ring and were tender. For a first time doing ribs, to me, it was a great success. I have a half rack left over from dinner. Might re heat it for breaky wiht some eggs. LOL.. Looking forward to the next one.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Good job...learning is tough but...that's how we get better.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Did these today...my first ribs on the egg!

imageimage
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The liquid is not necessary in the egg.  The BGE is a very moist environment on its own.  The drip pan needs some kind of spacer between the pan and the platesetter.  Some people use coins or washers or wadded up aluminum foil balls. The air space will keep the drip pan from drying up.
  • hondabbq
    GreenhawK said:

I know that but I was an hour into the cook and i could not get the temp down as I posted.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    hondabbq said:

GreenhawK said:

I know that but I was an hour into the cook and i could not get the temp down as I posted.

Nothing wrong with opening. I do. Just keep it to minimum and keep it quick. I make sure I have everything I need on the table beside the egg And when I open I go about it like a pit crew changing tires. A good set of gloves is a must to do this and a place to set hot things if need be. Then I don't freak out if the temp jumps a bit. It always comes back down. If I do make adjustments I make very small ones.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    hondabbq said:
    GreenhawK said:

Once the ceramic heats up, it can take a looong time to cool off. Not much that can be done but wait.

Here's something to ease your concern about being over temperature. Do a search on "BBQ stall reason." What you will find is that unfoiled food will spend most of its time just "sweating." It can't over cook unless the temperature is too high for a long time. With a dome of 250F, the food will hit about 165, and sit there for hours. A dome of 300F means the food will sit at 180F for not quite as many hours.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Like r270ba says, small adjustments.
    LBGE