Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast Sanity Check

Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited October 2012 in Beef

Hello Eggheads-

I've got a 4.5# Bone-In Standing Rib I plan to serve tonight. There are a lot of really good posts regarding this piece of meat. Unfortunately, the run the gamut from high heat/low heat, sear/no sear etc.. This is what I plan to do. Please feel free to add/append/shoot holes in this.

Score fat side
Rub with Worcestershire and add a liberal layer of Herbs de Provence
Roast in BGE, 275 dome temp, 3hrs. Pull off when center is 125 deg
Let rest 30 min and carve.

This is for a dinner party with other courses but I definitely want to get this right.

Thanks everyone!

Eric

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• That sounds good to me. 

Here is how I cook one: 
    I pat the meat dry and liberally coat the meat with course kosher salt.  I let the roast sit at RT for 30 minutes, then wipe ALL salt off and pat dry and then season.  The salt draws out moisture will help form a good outer crust over the meat.
    Make sure meat is at RT before putting on the egg.
    Indirect at 275-300 is good since you are going to pulled with IT
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Thanks Austin E!

I did some further reading and the salt idea is a good one and according to Cooks Illustrated, 3-4 hours only helps and won't make the meat too salty. Quite frankly, I did a roast last year and everyone loved it except me. I felt it was too done even though I pulled it out at 130 and let it rest. Difference was that I roasted it at 375.

Eric

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    One thing to consider is the meat will appear more rare than it is if you cook at a lower temp. I usually do them from 200* to 250*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Understood regarding the "look" of the rib roast. I do have to remember that if my audience likes it, I should be happy. Does it really matter what I think? Will post pics - as long as I remember.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think your plan sounds great.  I'm the same way as you...it usually ends up more done than I want, but usually cooking for many so I'm trying to hit a happy medium.  

One tip I read that I want to try next time.  Make it as rare as you like.  Have a skillet of near boiling au jus or beef broth nearby when carving.  If someone likes it more done, a quick "bath" will remove the pink.  

Ahhhh...here is where I read that.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.