Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs-first experience and some questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love chicken. If a go a few days without eating it (rarely) I display symptoms of CDD-Chicken Deficit Disorder. Wings were the first thing I made on my XL. But the reason I bought it was to make ribs. I have always loved ribs and in the last few years I have gotten to appreciate good ones and how hard they are to find. I have even been disappointed in the quality at the local ribfests that I have attended. The Egg seemed like the perfect way to do my own.[p]I have been wanting to try some ribs but it is a pretty big investment of time, especially the first time and I just haven't had the opportunity. The other night, suddenly, the urge got the best of me. I ran to Sam's Club, bought three racks of ribs, mixed together three different rubs I had saved and went to this forum and got a recipe, Spareribs alla JSlot. I followed most of the directions, put on the ribs indirect at 225 and definitiely followed the directions of having a beverage. Then I started wondering how his ribs were done in two hours while everyone said it took them 5 hours at 225. I decided to re-read the directions. Sure enough it says, plainly, two hours at 375.[p]They had been on an hour at 225 and I left them on while I got the temp up to 375, which turned into 400 for awhile. After another hour I checked them and said, oh no, you screwed the pooch. The ribs seemed really tough and so I went back to the 3-1-1 method, well sort of... I got the temp back down to 225 while I wrapped the slabs in heavy duty foil, and with the same level of planning somehow found some apple cider my wife had and poured a bunch over each slab and wrapped tightly for another 3 hours. When I took them out the were falling off the bone, but not falling apart...perfect if you ask me. [p]Before my questions, a quick point. My wife bought me the Bon Appetit Annual Barbecue Issue (July 2005) On Page 20 the Egg gets a great little blurb. One of the adjectives they apply to the Egg is "foolproof" I can now assuredly add "idiotproof".[p]Question 1- the testure of the ribs was close to perfect. No problem there. The taste was good, but too,how do I describe it, HAMMY. Ham like. I like ham okay but that's not the taste I want with my ribs. I used BGE lump and 4 medium sized chunks of hickory and 4 chunks of apple. I spread the wood out to the edges to try to time release it. Is it simply too much wood? (can't idiot proof everything) Does the lump have enough wood smoke without anything else? I love some smokieness but I alos like the taste of the other white meat. What is the best way to tone down the ham taste? No chunks, different wood, different lump? [p]Question 2- I hope I am not shunned for asking this question, but this groups seems tolerant of quirkiness. My wife has a big one, which, shamefully, I share. We both love the taste of slightly carmelized/browned sauce on our ribs. Not poured on, just a little crispiness. Is there any easy way to do this with the BGE? The thought of pulling off (and putting somewhere) the very, very hot plate setter to get direct heat screams disaster (I have confessed my diminished capacity already) Is it just easier to just put them under the broiler for a few minutes? Does anyone have a method for doing this?[p]Can't wait to try again but I want to correct my mistakes and plan better.[p]Thanks. I love my BGE but sharing with this group makes it much much better.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Little Ed,
    ive had the hammy taste in ribs, came from solution added by hormel. the ribs in the chain near me puts hormel products in the stores own packaging and they are not labeled hormel or solution added. dont know what sam's does.i just cook on a raised grill direct at 225 and raise the temps up a little at the end.nothing fancy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Little Ed, those ribs look like they took a cooking tour. Number one thing is leave them alone. I do 3 racks of ribs in my large, cut in half and put in a rib rack above my plate setter with a 12" alum pizza pan for drippings. I get a 250 dome, I light only one spot in the center of the lump, and put a few chunks of wood near the center. The it coooks for 4 hours, untouched, and no peeking. at 4 hours I check thing out. I remove everything in the egg. I next put the grill grate back in and sauce the grill the egg with the vents still set for 250. When I'm done all is well. I little honey glaze will make a crispy rib.
    the picture below shows the ribs with plate setter and drip pan.
    src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/tach18k/ribs4th2_800.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">[p][p][p][p]
    ribs4th2_800.jpg[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    tach18k,[p]It don't get no better than that. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    tach18k,
    those look fantastic.... i'm on my to sam's to get some ribs...!!!! i never made ribs on the egg...can't wait!

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    tach18k,
    what kinda sauce did you use and what's a honey glaze??? thanks!

• tach18k
    Options
    ranger ray, You can add a little honey to your favorite sauce or mix and match. These had Stubs mild sauce. Honey will carmelize better. I light brushing at the end should do the trick.

• Unknown
    Options
    Little Ed,
    First question/answer...my impressions I may add, I use smaller chips and use throughout the smoke, adding inbetween beverages when the smoke drops off. Hickory and Apple are two very good choices. The Beg Q I have is what charcoal are you using...some will provide that exact flavor your speaking of ...plain. [p]Second Q, good idea wife to add cider...secret of pros.
    Key to any sauce is adding it the last 10 minutes. The rub should provide carmelization (if using brown sugar it in) so the sauce shouldn't have to.

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k, I would have written sooner but after looking at the picture I blacked out. THAT is exactly what I am trying to do! A work of art. There is a smoke ring but you can see the white meat with the carmelized sauce. Perfect![p]Just so I understand,you cooked them them in a rack for 4 hours, took out the plate setter and drip pan, put the grate back, sauced and let them brown with the vents still at 250? I am not trying to be difficult but did you then put the drip pan and plate setter back for the picture? [p]Did you use hickory chunks? Someone suggested the hammy taste was injected into the ribs. I got them at a Super Walmart, not Sams as I said earlier, but I assume they come from the same supplier and no one else seems to have this problem. I do appreciate the heads up on Hormel ribs though because they are sold here (Tampa). I am thinking that besides too much wood, the apple cider was the main culprit in the hammy taste? The ribs were basically boiled/steamed in it, not sprayed. My ribs were dark all the way through and mostly looked like ham too. There was no white meat at all as in your picture. Mine were good but I am sure I would have liked the taste of yours much better. Ham belongs in a sandwich. [p]Thanks for the help.[p]

• tach18k
    Options
    Little Ed,
    I have heard that wallyworld does have injected meat. Sams does not, hence being choice products. I started another cooking session thats why it was put back together. Previously I had just did a 8# shoulder on a overnight cook, then did the ribs after that. Also salting the ribs will make it hammy, thats why the brine stuff taste that way. It will be a while before I'll be doing these ribs, Dr's orders. so all fat products are a NO NO for a while. I did sauce them while still at 250 setting, that way it keeps them from browning too much. If I want grill marks, then I open up the vents. The meat needed a small tug but were juicy and great. Of course right from the grill.
    ribs4th3_800.jpg

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k, Thanks. Hope you can partake again soon. And again, WoW!

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I have done ribs with mixed success. Yours looks just like my wife and I have been trying to achieve. I am going to try your method this weekend. [p]Thanks for sharing, Mark