Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Opinions on Peppermills

ShortRIbShortRIb Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking to upgrade my pepper mill and I am willing to invest.  Does anyone have any experience with high end pepper mills?  I am looking at the Peugeot brand.  Also saw the ones available in Penzeys.  Any help would be appreciated.
·

Comments

• I've had Penzey's for years.  After about 5 or 6 years, my previous one broke.  They gladly replaced it for free at our local store.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 258
    We have a Peugeot that is over 15 years old and keeps running and running.
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,652

Not necessarily high end, but the Unicorn Magnum Plus for $45 is solid, recommended by many in the BBQ circles.  I also have the mini mill for work, camping, tailgating. 

http://www.unicornmills.com/Magnum-Plus-0/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • I have heard great things on the Unicorn.  I just don't prefer acrylic.  I wish they had a wood version.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I use a brass Turkish coffee grinder...have had the same one for at least the last 15 years and its is as good as day 1.
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 839
    Cook's Illustrated recommended the Unicorn years ago and I love it, acrylic or not. If I need more than a few teaspoon's, I use my repurposed cheap coffee grinder. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,470
    I've had Penzey's for years.  After about 5 or 6 years, my previous one broke.  They gladly replaced it for free at our local store.
    +1, except my 8 year old Penzey's is still working just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 190

Which is best for chucking into a cordless drill for high volume pepper grindin'?

·
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 145
    What a great idea lwrehm!!! We all know that when doing a high volume cook we need high volume pepper. At times I need 4 - 6 tablespoons. After wearing out my wrist I've been researching electric grinders. My wife pointed out a Wolfgang Puck on HSN or QVC but even on TV I could see the output was pathetic. Your post compelled me to try your technique with my current grinder. I'm not sure the brand. My wife thinks it's a Martha Stewart set she got at Macy's.

The cordless drill works great! The grinder shaft below the head is square and larger than the threads for the cap so the drill chuck fits nicely without damaging the threads. With the drill I ground about 1/2 a tablespoon in two seconds. This will be my routine in the future. I don't even care if it wears out the grinder prematurely. THANK YOU!
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,650
    I use a brass Turkish coffee grinder...have had the same one for at least the last 15 years and its is as good as day 1.
    same here
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 573

+1 for the Peugot.  I have the matching salt and pepper and they have been very reliable and allow me to adjust the size of grind. 

Whenever I go to restaurant supply places it also seems to be the brand I see there so I believe they must be well respected.

Large BGE

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,866
    +1 for the Makita  (Alton Brown's idea)

·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    The costs of some Peppermills are just plain stupid. Almost as stupid as the electric versions. 

I have the following by OXO. Works perfectly, 4 settings on size, $25 bucks. 

·