Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

size

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SHOULD I PURCHASE A LARGE OR EXTRA LARGE EGG?

Comments

• The Reverand
    Options
    MARK CHAMBERS,[p]You will want to get input from the fine folks here who know much, much more than I do. However from many previous posts there may be some problems with the XL's that may still need to be worked out. The Large has been around for many, many years. I have seen, but never cooked on an XL, but it seems to me that it would likely need a whole lot more fuel (the Hummer of Eggdom?) compared to the Large. On the other hand, if you have a large family, or will cook a lot for friends, you may need the extra space.[p]I bought a medium recently, since I already have a cooker that can smoke at least 12 racks of ribs, and a forerunner to the large BGE (a #5 Imperial Kamado from Japan).[p]In my limited experience so far, I would recommend a Large if it will be your first Egg.[p]Best of luck, and take my response with a grain of salt since I don't know the full story on whether you really need the biggest monster.[p]Peace,[p]The rev[p]

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    MARK CHAMBERS, more than likely, a large will do all you need. Checking out various posts here, you can find pictures of large eggs with huge quantities of food cooking on them. But if you really are cooking for the troops, then the XL may be right. Most, if not all, of the initial problems the XL had have been worked out, so that's not really an issue. It does take more charcoal but, as with all eggs, once you shut it down the remaining charcoal goes out and is ready to be reused the next time you cook. [p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    MARK CHAMBERS, if you normally cook for 75 to 100, you need the xl. If you normally do less or want to smoke a 28 pound turkey on Thanksgiving once a year, get a large. A small Egg can cook for 25 people if you know what you are doing, pulledpork, etc...

• Unknown
    Options
    slagamater,
    I would like to know how you get a 28 pound whole turkey on a BGE. I have not even come close to that weight. thanks

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Alan j. Steinberg, actually, my nephew says he got three 13 pound birds in a large Egg one time...39 lbs total. You need to pull the temp guage out on large turkeys.I cook the bird on its back on the grill over the plate setter ; legs up and drip pan on the PS. You could also remove the fire ring for more space but I have never needed to do that.

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Alan j. Steinberg,
    I did a 27 # turkey two years ago that came out great. If I remember right I used platesetterwith turkey sitting right on the grid.

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    MARK CHAMBERS,[p]i'd recommend the large and if you find yourself short of grill space get a medium. then you can use the medium for small cooks and fire both up for the big ones.