Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huevos de Tortugas

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

One more post from last weekends river trip. We were sitting around Saturday, TX/OU game had just started and I got out all the stuff to make some Turtle Eggs. Well, as I'm making them, Mrs. O said something along the lines of "We should put some chorizo in them!!" Sounded like a good idea to me. Then she said "We could call them Huevos de Tortugas" Spanish for turtle eggs for all you folks that took French instead of Spanish back in school. 

We didn't measure it out, but Mrs. O fried up some chorizo (she says San Miguel is the best, so get that one if you can) and we mixed it in with the regular turtle egg stuffing.

Mrs. G made these a little bigger than normal. They went on the Mini at 350 with some cherry wood for smoke

Didn't time them as we were watching the game and partaking of cold beverages, just peaked at them from time to time. Almost done.

Pulled them when they reached 160F

Everybody thought these were really good, better than turtle eggs. The chorizo added an extra kick of flavor, a little more punch. I think the filling turned out orange because of the grease in the chorizo. Man were these tasty. I'm not sure Mrs. G will let me make normal turtle eggs again.

I wonder what some Italian sausage would taste like on the inside.....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments