Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets get back on track

Options

Comments

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    Being from the old guard and wishing to share, I resent that some folks here tell me that I should not post a link from the old forum, BUT rather redo it.  10 years and over 300 posts of recipes I choose not to reinvent the wheel.

If a link to any Food Network guru or BBQ-Brethren and several other sites are not commented negatively, why are some folks anti the old guard.  lots of knowledge there.

Richard,

I don't understand the tension between the 2 boards.  They are both wells of knowledge for a newbie.  The only reason I prefer this board is the layout isn't as difficult to follow as the old board. I appreciate your post and links.

-
    cha

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Being from the old guard and wishing to share, I resent that some folks here tell me that I should not post a link from the old forum, BUT rather redo it.  10 years and over 300 posts of recipes I choose not to reinvent the wheel.

If a link to any Food Network guru or BBQ-Brethren and several other sites are not commented negatively, why are some folks anti the old guard.  lots of knowledge there.

Richard - I believe you were directing this to me, as I am one who took offense to the continued posts linking to the other forum.  As such, allow me to "egg-splain":  My intent was a nice nudging regarding what is considered very bad "internet form" (or "Netiquette" if you will) . 

The difference between linking to the other sites you gave examples for (BBQ Bretheren, Food Network, etc) is that the greeneggers site would NOT allow you to link to this site from over there.  Also, the other sites you listed are not direct competitors to this site, nor do they badmouth this site.

I understand you might have a lot of posts over there, but my point was that if you tried to do something like CONTINUALLY link to this site over at greeneggers, you would be pounced upon & virtually lynched, and quite possibly banned.  I just don't think it's proper form to do that over here, when you know you wouldn't be able to do that over there - it's almost like it's free advertisement for them or something.  If they want to remain split from this site, that's their choice, but the way I see it, choices have consequences.  Part of that means that their site won't get all the newbies who are buying new Eggs & signing up.  That is, unless folks like you continue linking to their site from here.  In fact, I recall one of the mods over there asking folks specifically NOT to link to either site from one or the other... so it's not like I'm the only one who mentioned something, when even the mod made mention of it. 

As far as copying all the data - if you're already copying the URL, all you'd have to do is just move your mouse to the body of the text & copy that - it's not really that much more involved or time consuming.  I guess the only difficulty would be if the post had pictures - but depending on how the pics are inserted, this site allows you to just click & drag the photos over & release the mouse button inside the message body window - the pics will automatically populate inside the window.  So, it's not really that much more effort.

You're correct, you're free to continue to do whatever you want, but I'd think that a little sense of fair play would be in order - as I said, it wouldn't be an issue if you were allowed to do the reciprocal over there, but you & I both know that you aren't.  So it's like they're getting all the benefits of free advertising for no effort, and not even having to extend the same courtesy of allowing linking on their site.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter, and since you're an adult & free to post whatever you want, I'm not trying to "force" you to do anything.  I just wanted to "egg-splain" how some folks see things differently.  If you don't agree, that's fine, and no need to worry about me following you around commenting that you're linking to the other site - I won't continue to "harass" you if you still choose to do what you're currently doing because I've already explained my thoughts on it - I just hope you can see that it can be viewed as disrespectful to this forum - that's all I was trying to say. 

So then, no harm, no foul, no hard feelings - and let's just agree to disagree & KEEP ON EGGIN!! :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Imagine there's no forumsIt isn't hard to doNothing to kill or die forAnd no religion, too
    Imagine all the EggheadsLiving life in peace
    You, you may say I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you will join usAnd the world will be as one

pass the pipe man.......
    =))

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

Well said Cazzy. 

I commented the other night to SWMBO that the tension from the election seems to be spilling over to the BGE forum.  Maybe once we get back to good ol' Proctor & Gamble commercials everyone can relax. 

LOL..... @Hokie_Smoke, Excellent! 
    As a Canadian in line at Bellingham Costco last week, two guys in two different lines were going at it re the merits of Obama and Romney. I thought the staff was going to have to break them up. Great entertainment, but very tense. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2012
    Options

Richard - I believe you were directing this to me, as I am one who took offense to the continued posts linking to the other forum.  As such, allow me to "egg-splain":  My intent was a nice nudging regarding what is considered very bad "internet form" (or "Netiquette" if you will) . 

The difference between linking to the other sites you gave examples for (BBQ Bretheren, Food Network, etc) is that the greeneggers site would NOT allow you to link to this site from over there.  Also, the other sites you listed are not direct competitors to this site, nor do they badmouth this site.

I understand you might have a lot of posts over there, but my point was that if you tried to do something like CONTINUALLY link to this site over at greeneggers, you would be pounced upon & virtually lynched, and quite possibly banned.  I just don't think it's proper form to do that over here, when you know you wouldn't be able to do that over there - it's almost like it's free advertisement for them or something.  If they want to remain split from this site, that's their choice, but the way I see it, choices have consequences.  Part of that means that their site won't get all the newbies who are buying new Eggs & signing up.  That is, unless folks like you continue linking to their site from here.  In fact, I recall one of the mods over there asking folks specifically NOT to link to either site from one or the other... so it's not like I'm the only one who mentioned something, when even the mod made mention of it. 

As far as copying all the data - if you're already copying the URL, all you'd have to do is just move your mouse to the body of the text & copy that - it's not really that much more involved or time consuming.  I guess the only difficulty would be if the post had pictures - but depending on how the pics are inserted, this site allows you to just click & drag the photos over & release the mouse button inside the message body window - the pics will automatically populate inside the window.  So, it's not really that much more effort.

You're correct, you're free to continue to do whatever you want, but I'd think that a little sense of fair play would be in order - as I said, it wouldn't be an issue if you were allowed to do the reciprocal over there, but you & I both know that you aren't.  So it's like they're getting all the benefits of free advertising for no effort, and not even having to extend the same courtesy of allowing linking on their site.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter, and since you're an adult & free to post whatever you want, I'm not trying to "force" you to do anything.  I just wanted to "egg-splain" how some folks see things differently.  If you don't agree, that's fine, and no need to worry about me following you around commenting that you're linking to the other site - I won't continue to "harass" you if you still choose to do what you're currently doing because I've already explained my thoughts on it - I just hope you can see that it can be viewed as disrespectful to this forum - that's all I was trying to say. 

So then, no harm, no foul, no hard feelings - and let's just agree to disagree & KEEP ON EGGIN!! :D
    I think I messed up explaining this last year so I will try again with pics. Sorry it is so long
    First make a dark turkey stock (roasted backs and necks, wings and mirepoix)
    Then fry sausage onions, celery, garlic and peppers
    Herbs, pick 'em. I use thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley (didn't want to sound like Art Garfunkle by saying it the other way)
    Chop the herbs and more garlic
    Punch holes in an aluminum pan
    Make some foil balls and place in another pan
    Put some stock in the pan with the foil balls
    Mix sausage, dry bread, veg and herbs in, moisten with some stock and clarified butter
    Place a couple of turkey wings and necks on top

Put the stuffing pan with the holes on the one with the stock and cover both pans with foil and bake for about three hours at 350*
    Remove foil and cook till browned on top

Steve

Jeez HH yer a genius

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options

As a Canadian in line at Bellingham Costco last week, two guys in two different lines were going at it re the merits of Obama and Romney. I thought the staff was going to have to break them up. Great entertainment, but very tense. 
    A coworker of my wife has relatives in Canada.  She says they can't wait to get home from work and see the U.S. presidential debates.  They say it's the funniest reality program on TV.

I tend to agree. 
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "If they want to remain split from this site, that's their choice, but the way I see it, choices have consequences.  Part of that means that their site won't get all the newbies who are buying new Eggs & signing up.  That is, unless folks like you continue linking to the site from here. "

HH- It goes a little deeper than that. It was before my time, but it's my understanding that site WAS eggheadforum.com  and was privately maintained and funded by loyal eggheads for many years. When BGE corporate wanted their own forum, instead of building one from the ground up, they came in and took the name. ported all the info to this site and used all their info to create this forum. That is BGE's right as it is their trademark, but they never did want to be split from the corporate forum. They WERE the forum. I understand why they are a bit sensitive to the corporate forum. Some very loyal eggheads were left feeling quite screwed over and remain jilted to this day. I prefer this forum but totally understand the way they feel about it. 

Maybe some of the OG's can chime in if I am wrong but that's the way I understand it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    "If they want to remain split from this site, that's their choice, but the way I see it, choices have consequences.  Part of that means that their site won't get all the newbies who are buying new Eggs & signing up.  That is, unless folks like you continue linking to the site from here. "

HH- It goes a little deeper than that. It was before my time, but it's my understanding that site WAS eggheadforum.com  and was privately maintained and funded by loyal eggheads for many years. When BGE corporate wanted their own forum, instead of building one from the ground up, they came in and took the name. ported all the info to this site and used all their info to create this forum. That is BGE's right as it is their trademark, but they never did want to be split from the corporate forum. They WERE the forum. I understand why they are a bit sensitive to the corporate forum. Some very loyal eggheads were left feeling quite screwed over and remain jilted to this day. I prefer this forum but totally understand the way they feel about it. 

Maybe some of the OG's can chime in if I am wrong but that's the way I understand it
    yep, thats what happened to a t. alot of us never even joined this forum, we just got uplifted here.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

From my understanding, people didn't want change. They liked the way the old forum was set up. They liked the layout and being able to use threaded view and stuff. Couldn't figure out how to respond to a certain person or comment and were getting confused.

I was never a big fan of the layout of the other forum. Seems very dated.

It did get very heated when all of that was going on. Be glad you missed it CT.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Options

yep, thats what happened to a t. alot of us never even joined this forum, we just got uplifted here.
    Actually I was levitated

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited October 2012
    Options

That's not quite right.  It was privately maintained, but it did receive some financial support from BGE corporate (albeit from what I was told, not very much).  I do not know who originally owned/paid for, etc the domain name "eggheadforum.com" or who originally set it up.  In fact, Brenda Miller, one of the original ppl instrumental in making ANY BGE related forum, is a moderator over here at this forum now (or at least involved behind the scenes in some capacity). 

Nevertheless, using the BGE name, the logos, the branding, etc are *ALL* BGE Corp intellectual property, and any private person who thinks they are "entitled" to any share of that had to find out the cold hard realities of "it's just business" - unfortunately. 

For *whatever* reason, BGE corp decided to upgrade / make a new forum (this one).  I was there on the old forum when it was rolled out.  It didn't go very well.  From a PR standpoint, BGE corp blew it, quite frankly.  They didn't do any sort of announcing, no questions asked or advice sought of the established members - it's like one day BGE corp just woke up & said "ok, here's the new site, take it or leave it."

As you can understand, that didn't sit too well w/ many folks.  In fact, at the time, I could not understand why many of the "old guard" got upset or protective over the "old site" because I just thought it was a natural progression (at the time I didn't realize the back story & history).  In fact, I thought "wow, a new site - everyone will happily start using it" (boy, was I wrong)!!

Anyway, that caused quite a rift, and some folks swore to never visit this site, as they felt slighted by BGE corp.  I'm not gonna say they should or should not feel slighted, but the end result is that they wanted to keep the "old" site up & running, and do it 100% privately & through member donations & selling ads.  As I said, that's their choice, but as such, they should not be entitled to free advertising on this site if they do NOT allow the reciprocal - in my OPINION, obviously. 

If you want my assessment, I'd say that BOTH sites should openly allow cross-linking & cross-posting back & forth, and actively advertise for both.  To me, it would be a "win-win" and mutually beneficial.  However, I'm just a forum member, and not a corporate employee or mod of either site - so that's just me.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sad really, I remember when the other site was a much more friendlier place

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

That's not quite right.  It was privately maintained, but it did receive some financial support from BGE corporate (albeit from what I was told, not very much).  I do not know who originally owned/paid for, etc the domain name "eggheadforum.com" or who originally set it up.  In fact, Brenda Miller, one of the original ppl instrumental in making ANY BGE related forum, is a moderator over here at this forum now (or at least involved behind the scenes in some capacity). 

Nevertheless, using the BGE name, the logos, the branding, etc are *ALL* BGE Corp intellectual property, and any private person who thinks they are "entitled" to any share of that had to find out the cold hard realities of "it's just business" - unfortunately. 

For *whatever* reason, BGE corp decided to upgrade / make a new forum (this one).  I was there on the old forum when it was rolled out.  It didn't go very well.  From a PR standpoint, BGE corp blew it, quite frankly.  They didn't do any sort of announcing, no questions asked or advice sought of the established members - it's like one day BGE corp just woke up & said "ok, here's the new site, take it or leave it."

As you can understand, that didn't sit too well w/ many folks.  In fact, at the time, I could not understand why many of the "old guard" got upset or protective over the "old site" because I just thought it was a natural progression (at the time I didn't realize the back story & history).  In fact, I thought "wow, a new site - everyone will happily start using it" (boy, was I wrong)!!

Anyway, that caused quite a rift, and some folks swore to never visit this site, as they felt slighted by BGE corp.  I'm not gonna say they should or should not feel slighted, but the end result is that they wanted to keep the "old" site up & running, and do it 100% privately & through member donations & selling ads.  As I said, that's their choice, but as such, they should not be entitled to free advertising on this site, in my OPINION. 
    got it. Sounds like a good time. I don't mind it but that's just me.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I honestly frequent the old site...a ton of information there. I just don't feel I fit in enough to post there. Why retype a receipe if you don't have to. Keep on keeping on sir! :)
    Why would you think that man? There are still people there that are happy to help and provide accolades. Great peeps there and some good friends. IMHO the forum will fade away because all the newbs are directed here. I hope beyond hope that any anymosity will be forgotten when that happens
    Hmmm, I don't know.  I kind of equate it to playing for high school football for 3 years at one school and transferring to a new school your senior year.  I just find that it was much easier to build a name for myself here than it was there and I think it's because this site has so many of us new comers.  I also kind of got lazy with posting the same thread on multiple sites (here, greeneggers & brethren).

I hated the format on greeneggers until I found the Flat View button.  After that, much more enjoyable to browse.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    I didn't know you're not able to link eggheadforum posts on greeneggers.  If that truly is not acceptable, then I agree...I don't think it should be done here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    I honestly frequent the old site...a ton of information there. I just don't feel I fit in enough to post there. Why retype a receipe if you don't have to. Keep on keeping on sir! :)
    Why would you think that man? There are still people there that are happy to help and provide accolades. Great peeps there and some good friends. IMHO the forum will fade away because all the newbs are directed here. I hope beyond hope that any anymosity will be forgotten when that happens
    Hmmm, I don't know.  I kind of equate it to playing for high school football for 3 years at one school and transferring to a new school your senior year.  I just find that it was much easier to build a name for myself here than it was there and I think it's because this site has so many of us new comers.  I also kind of got lazy with posting the same thread on multiple sites (here, greeneggers & brethren).

I hated the format on greeneggers until I found the Flat View button.  After that, much more enjoyable to browse.

Hey, I wasn't trying to sell you on the other forum. I still read it but don't post much. My point was that there are good people there with lots of knowledge. I view in latest post. One thing that they have is that if someone posts a pic or a link you can see it without opening the conversation. Another thing that would be nice is to see who the OP was on a thread.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

ding, ding, ding......

same here
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited October 2012
    Options

Jeez HH yer a genius

No response ^^^  I just wanted to bask in the glory of being called a "genius" by someone of such "high" stature =)

(sorry, I had to channel my inner stike)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    The older mobile version of this forum always showed who was op, and I wondered why not on regular site, but when things were changed a bit a few months ago, that feature was gone on iPhone....I really liked it.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have a little bit different spin on it.  I think the riff came about mainly because of the format change.
    The old time regulars on the other forum are a tight knit group (not saying that's good or bad).  They even refer to themselves as "family".

The old format allows people to see who has originated a thread and who has responded.  People want to reply more often when one of the family is actively participating in a thread (that was made clear by the members during the breakup).  On this forum, you only see the last person to respond unless you go into the thread.

So, the divide expanded.  Not sure when it got ugly,  but those who chose one forum started making snide remarks about the other forum, etc.  That expanded to slurs between people.

As for me, I got sideways with one of the members, and in turn, I became very unpopular with many in "the family".  I decided not to defend myself, so I joined over here.  I'm glad I did.  I do like the format of this forum better and the tendency not to have so many off-topic discussions.

The only downside is that Little Steven followed me over here like a lost puppy.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You don't hate the other forum cause I said "you're even uglier than I imagined" do you? HH

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

Hey, I wasn't trying to sell you on the other forum. I still read it but don't post much. My point was that there are good people there with lots of knowledge. I view in latest post. One thing that they have is that if someone posts a pic or a link you can see it without opening the conversation. Another thing that would be nice is to see who the OP was on a thread.
    I know you were not trying to do that Steve.  Yep...lots of good people and alot of new members are missing out on some of the skillsets used by the GE members that don't post here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options

Anyway, that caused quite a rift, and some folks swore to never visit this site, as they felt slighted by BGE corp.  I'm not gonna say they should or should not feel slighted, but the end result is that they wanted to keep the "old" site up & running, and do it 100% privately & through member donations & selling ads.  As I said, that's their choice, but as such, they should not be entitled to free advertising on this site, in my OPINION. 
    got it. Sounds like a good time. I don't mind it but that's just me.

in some ways the forums mimic those stupid survival reality type shows. used to be the old regime, cliques forming, pouncing attacks, then a new forum spins off it, members complaining about the old and new, now we have the newer old regime here striking out against some of the oldtimers that drifted here, sometimes attacking newbies, almost like cliques forming again, it seems to be a viscous cycle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited October 2012
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I didn't know you're not able to link eggheadforum posts on greeneggers.  If that truly is not acceptable, then I agree...I don't think it should be done here.
    you should go over there & try it & see what happens... 8-| 

Where's that popcorn-eating icon when ya really need it???  =))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I didn't know that either. I'll pass.........:))

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    in some ways the forums mimic those stupid survival reality type shows. used to be the old regime, cliques forming, pouncing attacks, then a new forum spins off it, members complaining about the old and new, now we have the newer old regime here striking out against some of the oldtimers that drifted here, sometimes attacking newbies, almost like cliques forming again, it seems to be a viscous cycle

so true fish, valid points
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have a little bit different spin on it.  I think the riff came about mainly because of the format change.
    The old time regulars on the other forum are a tight knit group (not saying that's good or bad).  They even refer to themselves as "family".

The old format allows people to see who has originated a thread and who has responded.  People want to reply more often when one of the family is actively participating in a thread (that was made clear by the members during the breakup).  On this forum, you only see the last person to respond unless you go into the thread.

So, the divide expanded.  Not sure when it got ugly,  but those who chose one forum started making snide remarks about the other forum, etc.  That expanded to slurs between people.

As for me, I got sideways with one of the members, and in turn, I became very unpopular with many in "the family".  I decided not to defend myself, so I joined over here.  I'm glad I did.  I do like the format of this forum better and the tendency not to have so many off-topic discussions.

The only downside is that Little Steven followed me over here like a lost puppy.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My life for you!  ^:)^

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

cazzy said:

Where's that popcorn-eating icon when ya really need it???  =))
    Here is the best one I can find to match the emoticons on this forum...

Name:  popcorn.gif  Views: 63  Size:  6.4 KB
  • Village Idiot
    Options

My life for you!  ^:)^
    Do you have a green card, François? 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Options
    No but I do have a visa.

Steve