Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que Grate is the GREATEST

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone hesitating because of "one more thing" and the cost, click the buy button right now! I got one for the mini and one for the large. It has revolutionized the mini cooks. I don't have to do a full clean between each cook to get to high temps, and stabilizing at lower temps is no problem. Last night we got it stable at 350 and ready to cook in 10 minutes using oiled paper towels. We ate boneless jerk chicken thighs a half hour after walking in the door. Haven't used the large yet, but am expecting similar results. 

Before getting the grate, I considered the mini a bit fussy. Not now! BGE really should make these standard. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yep Yep Yep
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @jlsm, see this post, I agree with you completely. I think I use a bit more lump, but the results are worth it.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm said:
    Anyone hesitating because of "one more thing" and the cost, click the buy button right now! I got one for the mini and one for the large. It has revolutionized the mini cooks. I don't have to do a full clean between each cook to get to high temps, and stabilizing at lower temps is no problem. Last night we got it stable at 350 and ready to cook in 10 minutes using oiled paper towels. We ate boneless jerk chicken thighs a half hour after walking in the door. Haven't used the large yet, but am expecting similar results. 

Before getting the grate, I considered the mini a bit fussy. Not now! BGE really should make these standard. 
    +1.  Mickey put me on to them for my Large.  That was the first accessory I got for the mini.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think they're the gratest (air quotes around grate)
    Have them on my large and small and it's a must have item for every egg IMO.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I guess this isn't available for the XL?
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Stoater you can use the 22 " Webber Kettle fire grate. Maybe get 2 and criscross them. I have not done it yet but it fits.
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Ellis said:
    Stoater you can use the 22 " Webber Kettle fire grate. Maybe get 2 and criscross them. I have not done it yet but it fits.
    That's too big for a fire grate, methinks.  (edit) nevermind this comment, that's not the diameter of the grate in the 22" grill.
    I love the one I have on my Medium, but I only have one issue. When stirring lump(pre-cook), I sometimes bump it and it slides off of the opening, causing my lump to fall through the hole. I attribute this to the lack of a beveled edge that the cast iron grate has, as it occurs whether upright or flipped. Is this just the way it is or does anyone have a hint or home-grown contraption for stabilization? 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Stoater said:
    Why does you need one with the XL!? XL is great. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Sgt93 said:
    Stoater said:
    Why does you need one with the XL!? XL is great. 
    I don't know I seem to buy a lot of stuff after reading reviews on this forum, your right it is great, but I am wondering would it make it greater?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nah, given the diameter, the number and size of the holes in the xl it's not gonna clog. It will break though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Why is it needed for a Mini? (that's a serious question, sometimes its hard to tell about the tone around here lately) I have had no problems getting mine up to high temps, but I've only had mine for a week now. If anything, I have a problem keeping it below 350. I'm seriously contemplating finding some kind of silicone or something and sealing around the bottom vent a bit more. Doesn't seem like they did a good job of that and I think extra air is getting in.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    @Griffin, don't own a mini, but read somewhere on this forum the issue was for a low and slow, the mini OEM grate would plug to easily, making it hard to maintain low temps for longer cooks. 
    Open the top vent, close the bottom and it will tell you if there is a seal issue, I'd think. Once that's known, then see if maintaining temp for a longer low cook is an issue. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Nah, given the diameter, the number and size of the holes in the xl it's not gonna clog. It will break though.
    I agree, not needed in the XL but the small and mini are different due to a lack of space. I hope to use the Que in my small this weekend but have plans on an XL cook or two.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @Griffin, I had to use silicone around the vent, too. With the standard grate, I had to completely clean out the mini every time I used it; if it weren't spic-and-span, it just would not get up to a high temp and it took a long time to even get to 350. I didn't mind so much with good weather, but we got it last spring because we got tired of trudging out to the large in the cold; we could put the mini on a small landing next to our back door. I have cooked five times with the HQ and haven't done a complete clean yet. 

The temperature adjustments are a bit trickier than with the large. Unlike @Mickey, I do use the DW when I want to keep it steady below 400. Watch the little guy closely and start damping down 50 degrees before target. I close the bottom vent to about a half inch and play with the DW. If the temp doesn't come up to target quickly, just take the DW off for a bit. Last night we kept it at 350 with a half inch on the bottom and the little holes fully opened, but the large plate closed, on the top.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Got one for my large and small.  I really think the mothership should buy these from Hi Que and supply them with new eggs.  I was really having trouble with the small coming up to temp before my hi-que. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• crmwell
    crmwell Posts: 19
    I just got one for my large.  Used the heat gun for 2 min. and closed the lid with bottom vent open and top cap off and it hit 450 degrees in  a total of 7 min.  Plus not having to rake the ash before starting.  I like it!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited October 2012
    Here is the 2 Weber grates mod on the XL. I just happened to do this about 2 weeks ago. I even posted on another forum that I didn't think the XL needed a High Que a few days before I realized the Weber grates fit and gave this a shot. I still think the XL doesn't "need" it in the sense that my medium absolutely needed it on long cooks, but the difference in heat up speed and ash clean up after the cook is spectacular. Best 26 bucks I could have spent on my XL.

Hope this helps. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I just ordered one for my LBGE. I have to go to Calif. will be gone about a week, but when I get back I will try this out!  
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • hogsfan said:
    Here is the 2 Weber grates mod on the XL. I just happened to do this about 2 weeks ago. I even posted on another forum that I didn't think the XL needed a High Que a few days before I realized the Weber grates fit and gave this a shot. I still think the XL doesn't "need" it in the sense that my medium absolutely needed it on long cooks, but the difference in heat up speed and ash clean up after the cook is spectacular. Best 26 bucks I could have spent on my XL.

Hope this helps. 

Are these the 22" Webber grates?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Stoater said:

I am told just no need with the XL.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    To me the XL does great with the included grate. My L could use the Hi Q help.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    please share the Hi Q web page
    Thanks
  • nolaegghead

Flint, Michigan
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The XL grate has much bigger holes than the large.  Standard grate in the XL is excellent.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Before I make this a Christmas gift for myself, has anyone tried drilling out holes to make slots in the standard grate? Seems like it wouldn't be too much work with a vice and a sawzaw or something. Anyone Experiment with this before I do?
    Dunedin, FL
  • I bought mine yesterday.  One for my large and one for my small.  I think it cost me $58 total.
    Flint, Michigan