Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to get carriage returns to work when posting comments.

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 940
edited October 2012 in Forum Feedback
I am having a strange problem regarding carriage returns. When I post an original message the Return key works as normal and I get spacing between my paragraphs by doing a double return. When I reply to a message, the carriage returns don't work. They show up correctly on screen while I'm typing the reply, but then when I posted there are no spaces between the paragraphs. Am I missing something? Is there some special trick to get this to work or is there some HTML I can type into force it to work? Thanks in advance. Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,246
    Sometimes I have to log out to correct the keyboard...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 940
    edited October 2012
    I just found if I type BR BR With the appropriate greater than or less than symbol's around them, I get the effect I am looking for. While this works I am surprised that you should have to do this. It also doesn't explain why an original post lets the Return key work and only the replies don't let the return key work.

Jim
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,833
    edited October 2012
    I have the same problem and I didn't use to
    Boom
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    Works fine for me on Firefox - running Mountain Lion on the newest MBP

·
    edited October 2012
    I am having problem on Safari under Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard and Safari on the iPad 3 under iOS6. I'd love to know why it works in the original post window, but not when I make comments. But at least I know it is not just me.

I will download Firefox and give it a try.

Jim
    ·
    I only post from Safari on my iPad. I guess I can download Google Chrome for iPad and see if it makes a difference.
    Boom
    ·
    edited October 2012
    I only post from Safari on my iPad. I guess I can download Google Chrome for iPad and see if it makes a difference.

A bit off-topic, but since it's my thread I guess it's okay. Do you use dictation on the iPad to make your posts? One of the reasons I love using my iPad, is so I can use dictation. As long as I speak somewhat slowly and distinctly it is far faster than my hunt and peck typing whether I'm typing on the iPad or my Mac.

Jim
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878

I use chrome on iPad and have the same problems
    ·
  • Does anybody under 35 really know what a "carriage return" really means?  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    Well, I'm over 35, but I'll help them out.

image = chr(13)

:)

·

I use chrome on iPad and have the same problems

There goes that theory then
    Boom
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Does anybody under 35 really know what a "carriage return" really means?  
    Just turned 31 two days ago and yes, while I chuckled at Jim's use of the term, I knew what it meant :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
  • What's with Apple and the animal names for stuff?  Windows 7 working just fine here.  No Lions & Tigers & Bears, Oh My!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Does anybody under 35 really know what a "carriage return" really means?  
    I never said I was under 35 ;)
    ·
    What's with Apple and the animal names for stuff?  Windows 7 working just fine here.  No Lions & Tigers & Bears, Oh My!
    That is how they know it is time for OS XI  - when they run out of names of big cats.  :D
    ·

jfm0830 said:
    What's with Apple and the animal names for stuff?  Windows 7 working just fine here.  No Lions & Tigers & Bears, Oh My!
    That is how they know it is time for OS XI  - when they run out of names of big cats.  :D
    Maybe they'll go with bears. The beta OS X was called Kodiak.

·
  • What's with Apple and the animal names for stuff?  Windows 7 working just fine here.  No Lions & Tigers & Bears, Oh My!
    Most companies will give a code name to a product during development and beta.  Then, once announced, they change it to the real product name.  Lots of folks consider themselves in "the in crowd" if they continue calling it the code name as if they were one of the developers.  For some reason, Apple users (including me) all want to be in the "in crowd", and Apple encourages that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·