Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't Wait!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    YEMTrey said:

Agreed, polarizing wasn't the right word to use.

It just strikes me as funny, that as a whole we have no problem spending well over $1k on a grill and equipment, but the mere thought of buying a $7 bottle of Dizzy Pig rub is what gets some people going.
    I like to buy different rubs and try them out. If I really like one, then I'll note the ingredients and try a few more that are close to it.

like @lakewade said: "I didn't get into bbq to save money" :)

Actually polarising is the right word
    :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2012
    I have found better rubs than Dizzy Pig by experimenting with other rub companies. I know that is going against the flow on Egg forums because Dizzy Pig has done a masterful job marketing their rubs to Eggheads, but there are better rubs out there IMO. I do like Dizzy Pig also. Not a knock on them at all nor was it my intention. Just an observation from someone who has experimented a lot with different rub companies.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Little Steven is right, in more ways than one. ;)
    I have found better rubs than Dizzy Pig by experimenting with other rub companies. I know that is going against the flow on Egg forums because Dizzy Pig has done a masterful job marketing their rubs to Eggheads, but there are better rubs out there IMO. I do like Dizzy Pig also. Not a knock on them at all nor was it my intention. Just an observation from someone who has experimented a lot with different rub companies.
    Care to tell us what ones you like better so we can try them too?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    I use DP rubs but use others as well and make some of my own. Chris (Nature Boy) can explain why his rubs are a little more expensive and I have heard him do so. There is no question that the value is there. He has not marketed, masterfully or otherwise, to Eggheads. In fact his marketing efforts, from what I've seen, are more directed to fine food outlets and general BBQ purveyors

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IT'S WAY MORE EXPENSIVE TO BUY FROM DP THAN MAKE YOUR OWN!!!!! (That was me yelling). 

I still buy all their stuff. its really good and it's easier than making you own. They are also very creative and have some really cool flavor profiles. and, the guy is a good egg..........(rim shot)

I'm all for doing it yourself if you want, especially for briskets and buts because most of that ends up as smoky bark anyway. But things like ribs and grilled meats, the rub matters a lot.

This. If you're going low and slow for 6 to 18 hours then does the rub really matter (within reason)? It's mostly paprika, turbinado sugar, and salt. The portions of all the other add-ins are pretty miniscule.

Not to be redundant but it only matters on short cooks. Same reason our ballpark mustard coating doesn't taste anything like mustard once you reach pulling temps.

Just one man stirring the pot!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • I have found better rubs than Dizzy Pig by experimenting with other rub companies. I know that is going against the flow on Egg forums because Dizzy Pig has done a masterful job marketing their rubs to Eggheads, but there are better rubs out there IMO. I do like Dizzy Pig also. Not a knock on them at all nor was it my intention. Just an observation from someone who has experimented a lot with different rub companies.
    Care to tell us what ones you like better so we can try them too?

Sure. Here is a post (below) I made in another thread months ago on this very subject. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1230088/#Comment_1230088
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm always amazed when someone says "X rub is better than Y rub".  These things are so personal and that is why they make so many different kinds of rubs.

Buy them or make them to suit yourself.  If you like to make them, then by all means have at it.  If you like to buy them, then buy your little heart out.

Do what you like best.  There is no wrong or right and there isn't "best".
  • Rub, sauces, BBQ, heck anything relating to food is subjective. No one is arguing that which is why people stated IMO. It is our opinion.
  • lakewade said:
    aren't you in japan?????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    YEMTrey said:

To start, this is definitely not a "polarizing" debate. We have seen polarizing on this forum and this ain't it! I personally make my own. I like finding new mixes and recipes either in books or online and then doing my own thing with them to get to a flavor profile I like. I do make sure I buy my spices from a spice store, either Penzeys or the Savory Spice store. Either way, just do what makes sense for you.

It just strikes me as funny, that as a whole we have no problem spending well over $1k on a grill and equipment, but the mere thought of buying a $7 bottle of Dizzy Pig rub is what gets some people going.
    I like to buy different rubs and try them out. If I really like one, then I'll note the ingredients and try a few more that are close to it.

Not there there is a huge difference but it shows up as $9/bottle for me on DP website and $13/bottle on Amazon.  Where can you get it for $7?  
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba said:
    YEMTrey said:

To start, this is definitely not a "polarizing" debate. We have seen polarizing on this forum and this ain't it! I personally make my own. I like finding new mixes and recipes either in books or online and then doing my own thing with them to get to a flavor profile I like. I do make sure I buy my spices from a spice store, either Penzeys or the Savory Spice store. Either way, just do what makes sense for you.

Not there there is a huge difference but it shows up as $9/bottle for me on DP website and $13/bottle on Amazon.  Where can you get it for $7?  
    nowhere that I know of but i buy it from DP or at my local shop. $9 here. 

• r270ba
    Just curious how long will a small bottle last?  Estimate on racks of ribs please?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:
    Just curious how long will a small bottle last?  Estimate on racks of ribs please?

it will cover a ton of ribs. Brisket, butts take a lit more and you don't get the nuances of the good flavors as much on those. Grilled food and ribs don't need near as much and it make a huge difference to use good rubs on those.
  • A bottle of Dizzy Rub will do 5-6 racks of baby backs or 2 1/2 -3 average sized butts. That is coating them liberally which you should for ribs and butts.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    r270ba said:
    This is probably a smart thing to do.  I have been looking around online for some good spice stores.  Thanks for the suggestions.
    +1 on Penzey's. They will ship your order free if you buy more than $30, thanks to @Brownie. Great selection. 
    I have tried DP, it is just fine, hard for me to get. Penzey rubs are just as good, in fact we like them a little more - to each his own. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    A bottle of Dizzy Rub will do 5-6 racks of baby backs or 2 1/2 -3 average sized butts. That is coating them liberally which you should for ribs and butts.
    Sorta funny, if you ask Chris he will suggest a lot lighter coating.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks for mentioning Penzey's. I haven't ordered from them in years. On my to do list now. Always enjoyed their spices.
  • A bottle of Dizzy Rub will do 5-6 racks of baby backs or 2 1/2 -3 average sized butts. That is coating them liberally which you should for ribs and butts.
    Sorta funny, if you ask Chris he will suggest a lot lighter coating.

I do more than chris and way less than chrisnjenn. I guess I would get 10-12 racks but I use it on all kinds of stuff so I never measured.
  • r270ba
    r270ba said:

it will cover a ton of ribs. Brisket, butts take a lit more and you don't get the nuances of the good flavors as much on those. Grilled food and ribs don't need near as much and it make a huge difference to use good rubs on those.
    Interesting...I could see myself actually using a purchased rub on things other than the butts.  This was why I bought the sample pack.  The butts, I like the rub I use and it is easy and cheap.  I might buy a couple bottles and then post my reactions over the next few weeks.  With the sample pack I have made sure to cook 2 of whatever I am cooking and put a different sampler on each.
    Anderson, SC

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012
    DawgDays said:
    IT'S WAY MORE EXPENSIVE TO BUY FROM DP THAN MAKE YOUR OWN!!!!! (That was me yelling). 

I still buy all their stuff. its really good and it's easier than making you own. They are also very creative and have some really cool flavor profiles. and, the guy is a good egg..........(rim shot)

I'm all for doing it yourself if you want, especially for briskets and buts because most of that ends up as smoky bark anyway. But things like ribs and grilled meats, the rub matters a lot.

This. If you're going low and slow for 6 to 18 hours then does the rub really matter (within reason)? It's mostly paprika, turbinado sugar, and salt. The portions of all the other add-ins are pretty miniscule. Not to be redundant but it only matters on short cooks. Same reason our ballpark mustard coating doesn't taste anything like mustard once you reach pulling temps. Just one man stirring the pot!

Learned from a chef to ditch the paprika, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder and salt in rubs.  Gives you much more control and quite honestly, they have no flavor.  Chris and Co. do a great job of minimizing salt in DP rubs, at least the few that I've tried.  Other commercial brands of rubs are loaded with salt.

Buy dried, whole chiles, found in your local Hispanic grocer...toast in a skillet and grind with a dedicated coffee grinder.  Anymore, I omit the salt completely in a rub.  For example, take a rack of ribs out of cyovac, salt as if they were finished on a plate at the table, wait a few minutes for the salt to draw moisture, then apply saltless rub.  Eliminates the use of yellow mustard, and most imortantly, decreases salt intake. 

For onion and garlic flavor, I put that in the sauce.  A T of butter and 1 T of EVOO, wait til foam subsides, saute onion until brown, then add garlic until fragrant, finally everything else in your sauce recipe, blend.    

Prefer making my own, but a few commercial rubs are on the shelf when needed in a pinch.

Plowboys Yardbird Rub is my latest go-to

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

What does everybody think of the DP Dust vs the Coarse Dust? Looked at both bottles yesterday at store, from the label, it looked like they used different types of sugar.

Awhile back, I was going to do ribs with Dust, and realized I was low, so I mixed equal parts Dust, Stubbs Rub and Fiesta Rib Rub. Its quickly become my favorite rub. In fact, I'm smoking 3 racks of ribs with it this afternoon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

What does everybody think of the DP Dust vs the Coarse Dust? Looked at both bottles yesterday at store, from the label, it looked like they used different types of sugar.

Awhile back, I was going to do ribs with Dust, and realized I was low, so I mixed equal parts Dust, Stubbs Rub and Fiesta Rib Rub. Its quickly become my favorite rub. In fact, I'm smoking 3 racks of ribs with it this afternoon.

I use both. Course on butts and brisket, regular on ribs and grilled stuff. I have not noticed any flavor diff between the 2. I have them both downstairs so I'll go check them out and report back in a bit
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    r270ba said:
    YEMTrey said:

I live 10 minutes from this store.  Hit it every week.
    http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp

Anybody within a reasonable driving distance should consider a trip there.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2012
    YEMTrey said:
    r270ba said:
    YEMTrey said:

I live 10 minutes from this store.  Hit it every week.
    http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp

Anybody within a reasonable driving distance should consider a trip there.

Very interesting.  I know a dealer who sells the full line of Dizzy Pig and his cost is about $7.  Even at the Dizzy Pig store it costs more than that.

Can you provide a direct link (I tried to search for it on the site you ctied, but couldn't find) to where you can buy it for $7.00 so I can order from them?  At $7 I would buy some especially at what amounts to dealer cost (I understand buying in quantities gets a company a lower price, but this is a huge discount) and cheaper than the people who actually make it sells it for directly.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm not sure if I'll get to that store this weekend or not.  Next time I do, I'll take a picture of the shelf.  I can almost say with 100% certainty that they are $8 at the most.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385

lakewade said:

aren't you in japan?????

No man. I'm back. Unless that's some kind of code phrase. Then yes.

-----------
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Is that code for The Vapors - Turning Japanese?  If so
    =))
    Is that code for The Vapors - Turning Japanese?  If so
    =))
    Very perceptive...

:-)

-----------