Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a riblet?

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I think I've seen these maybe once in a grocery store, down in South Texas. Never had them, never cooked them. According to Wikipedia [i]"A riblet is an alternative to ribs. The actual riblet is the portion of a loin back rib (or baby back rib) that is cut off at the top (nearest the back bone) to give the rib a more uniform look. "[/i] Ok, sure, whatever. Mr. O brought some of these down to the river this past weekend and we cooked them up on his Mini Egg while doing the brats on mine. He said they were pre-marinated, so they went straight from the bag to the grill. We cooked them at about 450 for probably about 10 minutes or so, just till they got a nice char on them. Not sure on the time as the ice cold beverages had been flowing all day.

450F with mesquite chips for smoke

Both Eggs going, riblets on one, brats on the other.

Just about done

They came out pretty good, I think. Not a lot of meat per bone and we would have needed a bunch more if not for the brats and the sides, but they would make a great mid game snack for sure. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for these in the future.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That's what you cut off spares to make them St. Lou's. there is a chain of "riblets" and the flap of brisket on the back (sold as boneless ribs in the stores)

It's where all the nasty bits are and and they are good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great!

I love pork riblets! Buy them all the time...very cheap and have a great flavor since the meat is right off the bone.

HEB has them all the time...preseasoned just like your description.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options

That's what you cut off spares to make them St. Lou's. there is a chain of "riblets" and the flap of brisket on the back (sold as boneless ribs in the stores)

riblets are attached to the loin, your describing ribtips which is the brisket side

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this is a country loin, the section shown is riblets and they also slice another 1.5 inches of riblets off the end, then i believe the next section is babybacks as the meat on the bones gets thicker.

fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Options

riblets are attached to the loin, your describing ribtips which is the brisket side

According to Wiki, what you are describing @fishlessman are button ribs, which are neither riblets nor rib tips which CT described. Hell I don't know. My guess is Mr. O got them at HEB....wish HEB would move into Dallas. Central Market just isn't the same.

Rowlett, Texas

• fishlessman
    Options
    button ribs have no bones, sometimes they do have a back bone attached but lo loin rib bone, the ones i have shown are the end section of the loin bones and are the riblet cut
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Options
    Ok, learned me somethin new today. Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

• fishlessman
    Options
    you mostly see these from the fatty side of the loin, one end of the loin has darker meat and more fat and its usually ground up or sometimes made into country ribs (not the country ribs made from the butt but the ones sometimes seen with some rib bones in them)
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

a-ha. Thanks

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    maybe @meatshop101 has a point of view. I

see if he chimes in

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's pooh's best friend?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The McRib.  As a Texas BBQ fan and proud owner of my BGE Family, I hate to admit how much I love when the McRib comes out every year.  Want to get a polarizing debate going???... Who else loves the McRib out there?  I hope this doesn't get em banned.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I haven't eaten at Mickey D's in about 5 years so I forgot what McRibs even taste like. 

Hmmm...what are they made of? 

Found this: http://theweek.com/article/index/220866/whats-the-mcrib-made-of-anyway

"Ooof. What's the meat made of?
    Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together."

Sounds delicious! ;)
    I haven't eaten at Mickey D's in about 5 years so I forgot what McRibs even taste like. 

Hmmm...what are they made of? 

Found this: http://theweek.com/article/index/220866/whats-the-mcrib-made-of-anyway

"Ooof. What's the meat made of?
    Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together."

Sounds delicious! ;)
    The magic of meat glue.....mmmmmmmm

I use it all the time to wrap in bacon/prosciutto etc. Good stuff but you can do some dark magic on food with it if you are in to that kind of thing 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CT - Didn't you use it to glue some sliced pork belly together once?
    CT - Didn't you use it to glue some sliced pork belly together once?
    still in the freezer. Never did it. I have done some great stuffed chicken thighs and a few other things, It's great stuff and you eat it all the time....even in high end foods so no reason to say eeeeew. It's everywhere in commercial foods.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's the beauty of the McRib... Even while eating, you know you could do 1,000,000x better on your own, the flavor profile is ****, but it's so good for some sick reason.  Didn't think it was the the meat glue or anything else, but I'm still so damned fired up when I see them go on sale.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2012
    Options
    thetrim said:
    That's the beauty of the McRib... Even while eating, you know you could do 1,000,000x better on your own, the flavor profile is ****, but it's so good for some sick reason.  Didn't think it was the the meat glue or anything else, but I'm still so damned fired up when I see them go on sale.

meat glue has no flavor, it just glues all the nasty bits together. You can use if for something as simple a holding bacon to pork tenderlon or gluing mechanically separated chicken pats together for mcNuggets. yummmm! Seriously though, there are some very high end preparations for meat glue as well. We all eat it all the time, If you have ever eaten any deli meat.....you've had a belly full of meat glue
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Applebee's has riblets on the menu. I always thought it was like a McNugget.....
    LBGE