Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg has landed

Options
RiverRat
RiverRat Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been eyeballing BGE for a couple of years and finally pulled the trigger this weekend.

A special thanks to Grillnut at Norcross Ace Hardware. I go there for other stuff and was excited to see them start to carry the BGE and accessories. Got the BGE, some Dizzy stuff, and a few accessories at a competitive price. Was delivered and setup that very day. Over the top, knowledgeable service.

Also special thanks to this board for all the advice that makes it possible for a newby to cook right off the bat.

I did a drunken chicken thingy and it turned out pretty good for the first try. Had a hard time getting the temp regulated which brings up a question. I lit the lump, closed the lid, had the top open and the bottom vent open full, and before I know it the temp is flying past 750. Took forever to get back below 500. Should I shut things down before the temp gets to the desired level ( 350 )?

Comments

• CdnQer
    CdnQer Posts: 23
    Options
    Welcome to the Family, RiverRat!

I find that if you light the lump (especially with a fresh load of lump) and walk away for too long, the baby just wants to go nuclear.

As it approaches the target temperature, start closing down the vents to stop the soaring temp. Once you cook more with it, you will learn what the settings are for the top and bottom vents for what temp. you want.

Erik
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Check out www.nakedwhiz.com for suggestions on regulating temps and whole lot more info all about Egging. It's an awesome site!

Welcome to the cult...club!