Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time be-ork turtle burgers - my 3 year old made my night

BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Didn't know what else to call these - but here's what I made...

mixed 50/50 lean ground pork and beef with onion soup mix, worchester and a beef rub.  I made patties and stuffed them with left over "cheese" that was on hand.

Set the egg up indirect at about 325 and when ready added some hickory/apple/pecan chips

When the temp hit 160 I pulled to rest for a few minutes and set them down in front of my 3 year old.  Her excitement in seeing the cheese and getting to split it open and see it melt out was awesome!!  Her ooohs and ahhhhs and "daddy this is a delicious dinner" totally made my night.  Here is the finished product.

imageimage

Will definitely do these again - if for nothing else than to see if my daughter will give me the same reaction

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012
    That looks good. I can think on hitting them with Bone Sucking Sauce the last 10 mins.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Those look and sound really tasty. It's not just your daughter who thinks they look great.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Made a version of this last sunday for the first time.  They are super delicious! I was like a 3 yr old scarfing mine down too.
  • BigWader
    I had to stop myself at 3 and was counting the rest to figure out the leftovers for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

Always enjoy posts when the little ones get involved.  Ork turtle burgers look good.

I'm with Mickey on the sauce.  My little guy loves Blues Hog Original. 

We have fun when its pizza night.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nothing like pleasing a 3 year old with a cook. Raising a 3 year old granddaughter who only likes 'chicken' is challenging. Fortunately, she also likes 'red chicken' (steak), 'pink chicken' (pulled pork') 'white chicken' (roast pork) and meatballs. She will eat almost everything I cook on the Egg as long as I refer to it as chicken.
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Love posts where family is involved!  That is 99% of my cooks and it makes it so much more worth it (unless they don't like what I cooked :)))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• My four year old daughter is picky.  I don't cater to her much only in that her favorites (very few) ends up on the menu quite a bit.  We call them "no-hassle" foods.  Chicken legs are one of them.  I draw the line at egging PB&J's.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    hmmm....fun name for those things that kids would like.....

How 'bout "PBJ Balls"?  Pork Beef Jabberwocky Balls....

(jabberwocky = nonsensical language (according to Lewis Carroll))
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You gotta sell it!
    Great cook, thanks for sharing, kinda the "G" version of Doc's Juicy Lucys. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's great then the family enjoys the egg...mine loves it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    Great cook, thanks for sharing, kinda the "G" version of Doc's Juicy Lucys. 
    That's kind of what I was thinking - mini sized for my daughter to have at all by herself.  This weekend I'm going big though - maybe a "fattie" and I will glaze with sauce as suggested for these too.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great I have to try these soon! 

@TJcoley that is great stuff. I have heard the Egg makes the best chicken and you just proved it!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Great looking burgers. Need to try these. Arguing about dinner food took the pleasure out of "family dinner time". My wife and I always made our dinner and put a jar of PB and Jam on the table with a loaf of bread. Kids could either eat what we cooked or choose PBJ. Most of the time they ate what we ate. I think having the choice is what made the difference. And of course no fights! Bonus.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    edited October 2012
    Nice looking cook. Gonna put this or the juicy lucys on the to cook list.

Tjcoley
    October 17 Posts: 504
    Nothing like pleasing a 3 year old with a cook. Raising a 3 year old granddaughter who only likes 'chicken' is challenging. Fortunately, she also likes 'red chicken' (steak), 'pink chicken' (pulled pork') 'white chicken' (roast pork) and meatballs. She will eat almost everything I cook on the Egg as long as I refer to it as chicken.

This made me laugh. My daughter ate the same kind of chicken varieties too. She's 11 now and eats a much better selection of food but gets a kick out of hearing how we tricked her!