Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

10# picnic and sweet potatoes

miscjamesmiscjames Posts: 78
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a 10# picnic last night for tonights meal. Slow cooked it till it was 195 (for about 19 hours). And did some charred sweet potatoes. Just take some LARGE sweet potatoes and toss them on the coals then stack some coals around them. Let them cook for for about an hour or until they are charred turning once or twice. Let them rest a bit then cut them open and either scoop out the good stuff or server as is. Little brown sugar and butter and you are good to go.

To give you an idea...

What they should look like... sorry for the blurry pic

Picnic...

Lets eat...

Comments

• EggdamEggdam Posts: 218
    Very nice. What temp was the dome when you threw the sweet potatoes in?
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,597
    Love the Cole slaw
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks like a great meal! I will have to try sweet potatoes that way sometime.  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • @eggdam The temp was about 350 dome for the SP's the more live coals the better but not so hot you cannot get in there.

Thanks all
  • KingRoverKingRover Posts: 115
    Cool post. Never seen that before. That picnic looks great.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    Ok I will be glad to come to dinner....Nice cook
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• DonWWDonWW Posts: 261
    Have never tossed taters directly on the coals.  In foil - yes.  Looks very nice.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    gonna try tossing the potatoes directly on the lump like that.. question is- what about if it is all lit when i do it? less time would you think or maybe arrange the lump to where these arnt being killed direclt by the lump?
  • That is one beautiful piece of meat.......will be on my Egg in the next 2 weeks
  • XLBalco said:
    gonna try tossing the potatoes directly on the lump like that.. question is- what about if it is all lit when i do it? less time would you think or maybe arrange the lump to where these arnt being killed direclt by the lump?
    Balco. It needs to be nice and hot when you toss them on. You want them to get charred good so the inside is soft and juicy. This is very old way of cooking any root really. These were tossed on when I took the picnic off. I just opened up the vents some and tossed them in. Then I dragged some lump around them with the tungs  then flip flip done. 
  • That is one beautiful piece of meat.......will be on my Egg in the next 2 weeks
    Thanks John
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    edited October 2012
    good stuff- thanks for the info!