Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Travis method

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I gotta line that I try not to cross. And that line is don't be hurtful.  Yeah, trolls suck.  Pitchfork and torch wielding righteous witch burners aren't any better.  I just wanna eat some good food.

So diagnosing someone with mental illness, who you don't even know anything about, is not hurtful???

Did your "qualified" profession assist you in this diagnosis? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have an unproven theory that you get a better smoke ring if you regulate the airflow using the DW for the beginning of the cook when the ring forms.  I've seen some sweet smoke rings in the WSM....my secondary cockeyed theory is the WSM is so inefficient (loses heat through thin metal walls) that it takes more fire to keep the same temp.  More heat, more combustion gas, more smoke ring.  Speaking of smoking, I'm sounding like I'm doing that. 
    My thought is I'm gonna cheat.  Tender Quick's active ingredient is Sodium Nitrite.  And I gotz some.
    Focker said:
    I gotta line that I try not to cross. And that line is don't be hurtful.  Yeah, trolls suck.  Pitchfork and torch wielding righteous witch burners aren't any better.  I just wanna eat some good food.

So diagnosing someone with mental illness, who you don't even know anything about, is not hurtful???

Did your "qualified" profession assist you in this diagnosis? 

No, I crossed that line there.  I'm just trying to be a better person from that point forward.  Hindsight is 20/20.
    Hey Brandon, you are talking to one of the good guys here. He didn't start the shiznet and didn't react hostily like that Cen-Tex guy. No need for infighting

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited October 2012

Tender Quick in your backyard is not necessary, unless you want to impress guests.

Smoke ring is appearance only.

Competitions....are a different animal.  They say smoke ring is no longer a factor, but I bet Judge Ricky Bobby's "KCBS Certified" bland palette, would score in favor of one. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    Focker said:

Tender Quick in your backyard is not necessary, unless you want to impress guests.

Competitions....are a different animal.  They say smoke ring is no longer a factor, but I bet Judge Ricky Bobby's "KCBS Certified" bland palette, would score in favor of one. 

If you don't eat with your eyes, you're blind.

well this was fun- lots of butthurt going around.

cen-tex- where in chi-town are you?

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Hashmaker said:

FYI...very interesting tidbit. What do you folks think? Thanks Hamster

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/g/gsmokering.htm

Thoughts?

When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Hashmaker not Hamster...lol....sorry.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Focker said:

I agree.  Good post.
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    First... Wow. This thread has been all over the place!

Second... I don't get a good smoke ring from my egg and don't really worry about it. I like the low/slow meat that comes off of it and that's what matters to me. Definitely not gonna add anything just for appearance sake. I did a couple of SCBA competitions this summer and the judges really tried to emphasize that smoke ring was not a factor in judging because it can be artificially created. Whether or not they really didn't factor it, is another story though. I tend to agree with the judge Ricky Bobby statement. Old habits die hard and some of the more experienced judges may be stuck on things like that.
  • Focker
    edited October 2012
    Focker said:

Nola,

Over the summer, my favorite food show Master Chef Season 2, there was a sweet young Viatnamese-American blind lady named Christine from Houston.  It was absolutely stunning and amazing to watch her advance to the finals.  It came down to her and a young guy named Josh, from Jackson, MS.  I pulled for Josh from the beginning, but I was so thrilled to see a blind cook win.  By losing sight, her palette and flavor profiles were so refined and better than any of her competitors.  She even won a challenge by having to recreate a dish the others could see.  Amazing stuff.   By far, the best competitive cooking show out there.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• XLBalco said:

well this was fun- lots of butthurt going around.

cen-tex- where in chi-town are you?

Glorious O'hare for 6 hours. I'm back home now. I was actually working in Milwaukee and was flying back through Chicago. I lived up in that area for a while though and have spent a lot of time in Chicago. Love that town.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • piney said:
    Well, I have a nice CAB brisket in the freezer, I just bought a bottle of Allegro Hot & Spicy, I just happened to have mustard, onion, & rub I have been wanting to try a "Travis Brisket" now this thread has got me in gear! Thanks Travis, Cen-Tex, VI, LS, & Nola you have helped my cooking skills greatly!  

Thanks Piney. Pretty good company to be mentioned with. Let us know how your brisket turns out. Bet it's good :)
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    im in chicago but and travel to WI quite a bit for work as well.  always gotta stop at mars cheese castle on the way back!
  • XLBalco said:
    im in chicago but and travel to WI quite a bit for work as well.  always gotta stop at mars cheese castle on the way back!

Ha! That place is pure 1970's WI greatness. I owned a fancy grocery store that sold primo cheese when I lived in Appleton. I must have gained 20 lbs! Or maybe that was because we also had 100 craft beers :))
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i try to limit my trips past milwaukee..  it's like a whole another day of driving heading up to appleton :)

they rebuilt Mars and it is huge castle now!

• XLBalco said:

i try to limit my trips past milwaukee..  it's like a whole another day of driving heading up to appleton :)

they rebuilt Mars and it is huge castle now!

Well, we all have that line we won't cross. Yours is Milwaukee :)) Glad to see mars still doing good. Fun place
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    This thread is taking on a life of its own. Beautiful!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead

Focker said:
    Focker said:

Nola,

Over the summer, my favorite food show Master Chef Season 2, there was a sweet young Viatnamese-American blind lady named Christine from Houston.  It was absolutely stunning and amazing to watch her advance to the finals.  It came down to her and a young guy named Josh, from Jackson, MS.  I pulled for Josh from the beginning, but I was so thrilled to see a blind cook win.  By losing sight, her palette and flavor profiles were so refined and better than any of her competitors.  She even won a challenge by having to recreate a dish the others could see.  Amazing stuff.   By far, the best competitive cooking show out there.

Yeah, I watched that season.  She has an amazing palate and, even though she was blind, her food looked appetizing.  I'm not blind so my first impression on a completed meal is the way it looks.
    edited October 2012
    This thread is taking on a life of its own. Beautiful!

Hey, only 10,000 more views and we'll catch up to "swing rack". Brisket (had to keep it on track)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    XLBalco said:

Ha! That place is pure 1970's WI greatness. I owned a fancy grocery store that sold primo cheese when I lived in Appleton. I must have gained 20 lbs! Or maybe that was because we also had 100 craft beers :))
    Funny.  I have a friend Matt who lives there and is constantly complaining of a store just like this that closed.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I agree I almost did not start this post because I had to go to my kids soccer games
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • Focker
    The bell should ring any minute now for recess. Yay!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Focker said:
    The bell should ring any minute now for recess. Yay!
    That's after we finish bible study and our sugar cookie.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I think he's the best we have had in a long time. Trudeau's son just put his hat in the ring :((
    Fuddle Duddle....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    And Fuddle you too ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• This thread is taking on a life of its own. Beautiful!

Hey, only 10,000 more views and we'll catch up to "swing rack". Brisket (had to keep it on track)
    Maybe I can insult someone and offend others at the same time?  Yankees suck!  Go Tigers!  How about that for starters?  Then someone will say the Yankees are great and the Tigers suck and then I'll just tee off on them!
    Flint, Michigan