Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home-made Fresh Bratwurst

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Mrs. G and I actually made these up a few weeks ago, but by the time we were done, we didn't feel like cooking any of them up, let alone eating any sausage. We stuffed about 12 pounds of sausage that day, 6 lbs of brats and 6 lbs of Russian Sausage. Let me tell you, a dedicated sausage stuffer is on my Christmas list now, possibly a Dakota.

Started off by grinding up our pork butt

Mixed in our seasonings

Stuffed the casings

We first got to try it down at the river this weekend. On the Mini Egg at 350F with some apple wood chips for smoke.

Amost done

Finished

Look at all that juice!

We were very pleased with our first attempt at Bratwurst. They had a great flavor, were nice and juicy and had a good snap from the hogs casing. They weren't exactly like a Johnsonville (that's not what we were aiming for), but more like the ones we got in Germany in August. They had a finer texture (due to the grinder attachement we used) and a richer flavor due to the eggs and milk. Good stuff for sure.

The recipe can be found HERE if you are interested plus more pics and the rest of the story.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm not a fan of sausage or brats but yours look great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I'm very interested in making my own sausages. 

What type of grinder do you have?  Do you know the motor specs (watts/hp, grinder size #12) and do you feel that it is a powerful enough unit for 5-10lb batches?

I'm leaning toward getting the stuffer first (5lb vertical) and using fresh ground from a reputable butcher until I can justify a sausage making frequency for a stand alone grinder.  Only issue I see with that is most ready ground pork would be lean so 15% fat only.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Griffin
    Options

I'm using the Kitchener #12 from Nothern Tools.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

1/2 hp, 350W. Says it will do 176lbs an hour, but the most I've ever done is 15 lbs at a time. Works great for small batches that size. No problems so far. It's stuffing capabilities are ok, but I really want to upgrade to a dedicated stuffer now. Lookin at the Dakota water stuffer. The bratwurst was a pain to stuff. Very sticky and wet. Seemed like when you tried to stuff it down the neck, it would create suction and a lot would come right back up. Pain in the ass (and arm and shoulder)

I guess you could use pre ground sausage. If you found a good butcher, you could even tell him what fat content you wanted and he could add in extra fat back. That, or you could partially freeze some bacon and pulse it a few times in a food processor and mix that in.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Rowlett, Texas

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

How Awesome!!  I'm gonna have to try this one of these days.  Brats and Beers, my personal favorite.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ok, now you are just showing off ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    I've barely just begun @Mickey. Just kidding. Although I just ordered that Charcuterie (however its spelled) book that everybody talks about and 8oz of Cure #1 for the next batch of sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Would you say the amount of work was worth it for the difference in your brats and a Johnsonville equivalent?  How long did this take you to do?  Very interesting and looks great!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Griffin
    edited October 2012
    Options

I'd say it was worth it to me, you might have a different opinion. Usually the whole process of making sausage takes quite a bit of time, but a lot of that is waiting. This is how I generally approach it:

1. Get home Friday, cube up pork, run through grinder, mix in spices, place in fridge overnight for spices to blend.

2. Saturday - fry up a taste patty, adjust if needed. Soak hogs casings in water for 30 minutes. While soaking, place sausage mixture into freezer for 30 minutes (prevents fat from melting and schmearing, easier to stuff) Also, place metal parts of stuffer in freezer. After 30 minutes, wash out hogs casings with fresh water and start stuffing. 5 lbs goes fast after you've done it a few times, the first few times it will take awhile. Once done, you can cook it, or better yet, place it back in refrigerator for Sunday allowing spices to blend more.

3. Sunday - Cook sausage or vac seal it and save it for later.

I have gotten up Saturday morning and started the process and done it all in one day, just not letting the seasonings in the sausage blend as much.

Since it is time consuming and there are a bunch of steps, I think its best to make a bunch of it and freeze it for later. I wouldn't do anything less than 5 lbs (this recipe was for 2.5 so I doubled everything) I think once I get a dedicated stuffer, I won't do anything less than 10 lbs at a time. The bigger a batch you do at one time would save you effort. All the cleaning and prep for 5 lbs you would have to do 2x if you did smaller batches and spread them apart over time.

Just my $0.02.

Rowlett, Texas