Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tiger Wings

marchamiltonmarchamilton Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in Poultry
Olive oil rub with salt, pepper and garlic. Indirect heat with platesetter and apple chips. 450 for about 45 minutes. Finished with Louisiana Tiger sauce, cilantro and garnished with pimientos de Padrón from the garden.

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,747
    Looks very tasty!

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742

I don't oil wings. Just season them and let them sit a while. Before going to the egg I shake them in a bag with a little cornstarch. They come out really crispy, even after I sauce them and put them back on the grill.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bear02Bear02 Posts: 23

I don't oil wings. Just season them and let them sit a while. Before going to the egg I shake them in a bag with a little cornstarch. They come out really crispy, even after I sauce them and put them back on the grill.

can u explain more on corn starch can u reference your recipe wife and i love wings but want spicy and crispy
  • DARN!  I thought this thread would have a Detroit Tigers connection.

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,999
    I thought it had something to do with Charlie Sheen.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

• can u explain more on corn starch can u reference your recipe wife and i love wings but want spicy and crispy
    DITTO
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
    edited October 2012
    Bear02 said:

can u explain more on corn starch can u reference your recipe wife and i love wings but want spicy and crispy
    Yes, I have been using corn or potato starch on any skin on poultry for years. With wings I put my rub and spice on, let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and then put them in a bag with maybe a teaspoon of starch per pound and some onion and garlic powder and usually cayenne. Then just shake them like you would for shake and bake. You dont want them coated heavily, just enough to hold on to some fat so they "fry" in the egg. For bigger pieces I will use a sifter and a fine sieve to coat. Sometimes, I will brush off with a pastry brush

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Corn starch is a miracle powder.  I use it on a lot of things, mostly for thickening.  But, dusting flank steak for Mongolian Beef and letting it sit for awhile gives it that special crust for an excellent Mongolian Beef.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

Here are some skin on thighs

Here are the same wings

P1030648

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I thought it had something to do with Charlie Sheen.
    I am tremendously offended and will report this immediately!

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,999
    I thought it had something to do with Charlie Sheen.
    I am tremendously offended and will report this immediately!
    Too late. I reported you already AND I told mom. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Where the heck is the "delete " button????

Flint, MI

And all apologies to marchamilton for jacking the thread. Just trying to help here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yes, I'm sorry marchamilton.  Louisiana Tiger Sauce?  Is it spicy?  Your dish looks fabulous!  I'm just wondering if I should bother with trying to find Tiger Sauce because Wilma HATES spicy. 

Flint, MI

Fred, I am reporting you to the administrators right now!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It was talking about Wilma's hatred, wasn't it?  I thought that might have been going too far.  This is a family forum afterall.

Flint, MI

• Bear02Bear02 Posts: 23
    thanks that helps alot 
    and good spicy hot wings sauce you recommend?

Bear02 said:
    thanks that helps alot 
    and good spicy hot wings sauce you recommend?

I use Arizona Gunslinger Smoking Hot but that is because I like the flavour. You can go as hot as you want. I find the cayenne and the sauce is enough.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,583

They look great, scarey, but great.

As I finished typing that, I thought about Tony the Tiger saying "They're Greaaaat!!!!"

:))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven and Fred19Flinstone - no apologies needed. It's just fun to hear people talking about food. I talk about it more than I should - grew up with 11 brothers and sisters and food was the most talked about subject at every meal. Hardly finish the first bite and my mother would already be talking about the next meal - I do the same.  The Louisiana Tiger sauce is available in most grocery chains. It is a pretty mild sauce with great flavor. I like to make habanero sauce from fresh picked garden peppers but  it's not for most people. The Tiger sauce fits almost every palate. 

Marc Hamilton

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,747
    Tiger sauce is good stuff.  We have it in our cupboard.