Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Addition (Tons of pics)

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Its been so hard keeping this under my hat. I actually ordered a Mini Egg a month ago, but didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until I took delivery of it. Let me tell you, that month dragged by for me. The problem is our Egg dealer lives across the state....and by across the state I mean ACROSS the state. Really far away. To get my large Egg, I had to drive to Corpus. For this one, we had to drive to Hunt, Texas. I know there are closer dealers, but this just happens to be Mrs. G's best friend, so its not like I had a choice.

All that being said, I think I must have one of the best Egg Dealers in the world. Texas at least. How many other Egg Dealers will invite you to their River Cabin for a four day weekend of cooking out, visiting wineries, watching football and drinking just so they can deliver your Egg in person? Of course, it may help that Mrs. G has been best friends with Mrs. O forever. But that's beside the point.

Thursday we were on the road to Hunt, Texas with the skyline of Dallas in our rearview mirrors by 1:45. We took the backroads down, traveling through Cleburne, Hico, Lampasas, Marble Falls, Fredericksburg, Kerrville and finally arrived just outside of Hunt, Texas in time for dinner. Mrs. O and her husband had carne guisada and Mexican rice waiting for us as we rolled in at dinner time....one of the few meals of the weekend that was not Egged, but still oh so delicious. After dinner, Mr. O and I got started putting my new Mini together.

Once that was done, we relaxed and had some more cold beverages.

Friday morning, even though we had plans for the day, I couldn't resist starting a small fire in the Mini, just to test it out, ya know? They look so cute when they are all new and white like that.

Then we ran into Fredericksburg, had lunch, let the girls shop and then visited Grape Creek Winery and Becker Winery before retiring back to the river cabin. That's when we the girls told us were told that we were making pizzas.
Me and Mr. O by our Minis

Having a drink while the Minis warmed up

Not knowing what the cabin was going to have by way of the kitchen, we opted to bring some dough from Tom Thumb with us (can also be found at Safeway and Randall's) Turned out to be just the right amount for four Mini pizzas

Being the gentlemen we are, we let the women folk get started on their pizzas first.

Mrs. O's pizza on the Mini at 450. Looks like Buffalo mozzarella, mushrooms and pepperonis.

Mrs. G's pizza with shredded mozz, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, mushrooms, basil and some Buffalo mozz on our new Egg at 450 using the Woo Ring and a pizza stone

Mr. O's pizza was kept simple with shredded mozz, buffalo mozz and a mushroom, basil to be added later

And finally my pizza with pepperoni and Canadian bacon

Somehow (probably because I was watching all the pizzas cook), I didn't get any finished pictures of the pizzas, but Mr. O did take one of his.

Pizzas turned out really good, especially for a first attempt for all of us making them on the Mini. I will admit I burned mine a bit. I got impatient as mine was the last one cooking and I took the metal DFMT off and opened up the bottome. I knew better than that, but wanted to sit down and eat with everybody else. Resulted in burning the bottom crust a bit.

Obviously there are going to be a ton of pics in the next few days if this is just night one. We really put the Minis through their paces and cranked out a ton of food. I was a bit hesitant getting a Mini and wavered back and forth between it and the small, but I am really happy I got the Mini. It will be perfect for small meals for just me and the Mrs. and it will come in handy when paired with the large for big parties. It's already gotten a ton of use and I can see it getting plenty more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    great pics - sounds like and incredibly fun time!  Congrats on the new baby mini.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks like a perfect way to break in a new egg and a fun weekend with some friends! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My wife is from Lampasas and we love going to Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg winery is my favorite. The owner is an old special forces army grunt.

Did you eat at Hondo's?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    a mini's on my list! but i'd take a small too. They're so close in price, i feel like the small might be better suited for my collection. Hopefully i'll just end up with one of each!

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Ah.....Hunt. Did you stop and check out the Stonehenge replica? Oddly enough, that's my wife's family that set that up on its original site there....it may have been moved in the last few years though.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Thanks @dlk7

It was a great weekend, @Solson005

@travisstrick - Ferdericksburg is always a great time. We at The Auslander. It was Mrs. O's birthday weekend and that's what she wanted, but I've eaten at Hondo's before. Good stuff.

I know what you are going through xraypat. I had the same thoughts. I figured it would be easier for me to take the Mini to the ranch and other places and that I would just go ahead and win the small at the Plano Eggfest. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Wow I love the story to go along with the pictures.  How much are the mini and smalls?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    My wife is from Lampasas and we love going to Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg winery is my favorite. The owner is an old special forces army grunt. Did you eat at Hondo's?
    Next time you are in the area take a side trip to Sisterdale and stop at the Sister Creek vineyards.  Then got up to Alamo and try the food at the Alamo Springs Cafe.  Oh yea the old RR tunnel is interesting too, if you don't mind spiders.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    oh yea, the mini rocks
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Griffin: Congrats on the new addition to your family! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of future cooks. Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Grif,

You have such a way with words.  I'd have probably said:

Got new mini.
    It work good.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• McNuttly
    Options
    I've come full circle on the mini.  I picked one up about 4 years ago & loved it, used it for maybe half my cooks but eventually grew weary of its limited capacity and cleaning it.  The limited cooking surface aside, taking out the internal parts to clean it (which I found to be the only way to get it done sufficiently) is a pain in the ass. I still have it but haven't used it more than once or twice since picking up a smoky joe a year or so ago. Cook done, lift smoky up by its leg & shake ashes out, takes 3 seconds; has somewhere on the order of twice the cooking surface and can competently accomplish far more indirect cooking, all for 29 bucks.  Bang for buck-wise the mini is a trainwreck
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    I've come full circle on the mini.  I picked one up about 4 years ago & loved it, used it for maybe half my cooks but eventually grew weary of its limited capacity and cleaning it.  The limited cooking surface aside, taking out the internal parts to clean it (which I found to be the only way to get it done sufficiently) is a pain in the ass. I still have it but haven't used it more than once or twice since picking up a smoky joe a year or so ago. Cook done, lift smoky up by its leg & shake ashes out, takes 3 seconds; has somewhere on the order of twice the cooking surface and can competently accomplish far more indirect cooking, all for 29 bucks.  Bang for buck-wise the mini is a trainwreck
    To "come full circle" on the mini would mean that you love it again.  That's like the basketball player that said "We're gonna turn this team around 360° "  =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• McNuttly
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    To "come full circle" on the mini would mean that you love it again.  That's like the basketball player that said "We're gonna turn this team around 360° "  =))

poor word choice, but point is the same.  I'm no longer seeing the value in the mini.  It has unfortunately become a paper weight here.  I recall getting it for what would now be considered a pretty good price (somewhere in the 250 range) which I still thought was a lot for a grill of that size, but its my understanding that they're now over $350, insanity.  I get the concept, small cooks, low fuel consumption... but there are far better ways to accomplish these objectives. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    McNuttly said:

poor word choice, but point is the same.  I'm no longer seeing the value in the mini.  It has unfortunately become a paper weight here.  I recall getting it for what would now be considered a pretty good price (somewhere in the 250 range) which I still thought was a lot for a grill of that size, but its my understanding that they're now over $350, insanity.  I get the concept, small cooks, low fuel consumption... but there are far better ways to accomplish these objectives. 

I'll take it off your hands for $100
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • McNuttly
    Options
    thetrim, I'd love to get rid of it but it holds sentimental value with one of my kids so it's staying put.  Besides, if I were going to sell it, I'm sure I could find a sucker to give me more than $100 for it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes you could but I thought I'd offer.  My 10 yr old son loves the Mini and always refers to it as "his" egg.  Funny.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    McNuttly said:

Hey McNuttly, does this sound familiar:

"it just seems awful to me that we BGE enthusiasts would denigrate the very product we all use and enjoy. If we give the BGE a bad name then it hurts the company and ultimately us."

So quick to jump on stike for making a harmless crack about gaskets, and here you are, denigrating your heart out. Nice 180.

@Griffin, sorry for extending the hijack. Looks like the best way to pick up an Egg, I enjoyed the story.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @McNuttly: Try getting a High-Que for the mini. I also cleaned mine out after every use to get up to high temps. The High-Que makes all the difference. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • McNuttly
    Options

Kingriver, I'm glad to know I have fans so devoted that they have my musings memorized & cateloged, I thank you for your devotion.

As an aside, any reason to jump on the likes of stike is a good reason

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice work, is only one pizza stone in use? And good to see the pizza done @450 save your gasket maybe the 600+ is overkill?
    Seattle, WA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

The wife told me you cab have a Mini or a new scope for your rifle. I took the scope. Now I am in Wyoming Mule Deer hunting for the week.

I figure when I get home with some meat I might con her into letting me have the Mini for some tasty Venison.

Also great to see your buddy sporting the Cowboys shirt and still having a smile.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.