Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie need advice on first time cook out

viamarco
viamarco Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got my BGE today. I have to put it together. I am having people over this weekend and needed some advice on what would be some great fool proof stuff that I could cook for my guests and have them amazed at the food. I am thinking of doing some tri tip and possibly some different pizzas. Any suggestions?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Spatchcock chicken. Whatever you cook, make sure you have a good instant read thermo. I suggest the Thermapen by Thermoworks. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The only way you can ruin tri-tip is to overcook.  That's a good choice.   The classic easy, near foolproof BBQ dishes are boston butt pulled pork and spatchcock chicken.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Spatchcock chicken. Whatever you cook, make sure you have a good instant read thermo. I suggest the Thermapen by Thermoworks. 
    +1, chicken is fantastic - to keep it fool proof, cook it indirect....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited October 2012
    Sausage is pretty gee whiz, and of course standards like burgers or steaks.  Don't grandstand with something complicated until you get some experience.  And that is not to say that spatchcock chicken is grandstanding.  Pretty good choice if you want to make an impression while still on the learning curve.  So is beer can chicken.

Remember, this cooks different.  If your looking, you aren't cooking.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763

+1, chicken is fantastic - to keep it fool proof, cook it indirect....

++1 on a foolproof excellent first cook
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't think it was my first cook, maybe my 2nd, but on the way back from Jazz Fest, we stopped at Casey Jones Supermarket and I walked out of there with a 9 pound chicken.  I threw it on without much thought at 400 indirect.  Seasoned with Tony's.  Some pecan chips.  By the time it was done, we'd already been grazing and no one was hungry.  I cut into it and it about as tender as shoe leather.  I ended up feeding it to the neighbor dogs. 

My major mistake was buying an old chicken.
    I am new here too, having owned my Egg since August. 

+++1 I will pile on and say an indirect grilled spatchcocked chicken with a little smoke was my first cook on the Egg. My wife said after one bite it was the best  and most moist chicken she's ever had. 

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • What's the cooking time difference between direct and indirect?
  • +6 or 7 - Spatchcock chicken is simple and has a tremendous "WOW!" factor.  I like it with apple wood smoke.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    itviamarco said:
    What's the cooking time difference between direct and indirect?
    For me the 4.5 pound turkey took 90 minutes at the 325 degrees the recipe called for. It started breast side up and was flipped midway to breast side down.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    I'd suggest you tighten the bolts that hold on the lid until they bend.  Learn how to line up the pivot and swivel screw on the bi-metal cap so it doesn't swing open or closed when you lift the lid.  Let the charcoal burn clean - no white smoke.

I would not do pizza or burgers for my first cook with a crowd.  Pizza is too hot and there is a pace to feeding a lot of people that  would be challenging with a crowd.  Burgers are too smoky (at least my brisket burgers are).  Tri-tip is always awesome, but an indirect cook will be easy.  A pork loin or chicken (as suggested) would be great.  I do Costco sirloin steaks all the time.  Easy on the budget and taste great.  A prime rib or new york strip roast are really easy (again indirect, -- if you have welders gloves you can reverse sear either).  

Crab cakes, shrimp, scallops are all very easy.  Asparagus is easy as are sliced veggies tossed in olive oil.  Gilled pineapple makes a nice desert.

Good luck, 

Ed
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    What size is your egg?

I agree spatchcock chicken is a super simple but very impressive cook to share with friends. The Naked Whiz is a great source of information along with this forum and here is his take on Spatchcock. I do mine raised direct and it takes right around an hour to get 160° in the breast and 180° in the thigh. 

Pizzas are great and one of my favorite things on the egg, but there is a learning curve and I would do one or two before trying to feed lots of hungry guests on a weekend. Your guest will really like coming over for some Egg meals so you'll get a chance to really impress them again.. Here is my last pizza party I did 13 pizzas at Baker's Dozen Pizza Party 

Fire it up this week sometime and just do some simple veggies and burgers to play around with getting the temp up. When doing higher heat cooking don't forget to Burp your egg and watch out for flashbacks your arm hair and eyebrows will thank you.. 

Welcome and enjoy your new obsession. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Check out Dizzy Pig's recipes. Many are not very difficult, and are most delicious.

Besides spatch'd chicken, marinaded pork tenderloin medallions  are very easy, and flavorful. They can be done any way, even direct, lower position w. frequent turning. Brined/marinaded pork loins is also easy and quick, They are even better if stuffed.
  • Spatchcock Chicken, I just made one as my second meal on the BGE. It came out AMAZING. Best chicken I've ever had, hands down.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Spatchcock...poppers...turtle eggs. All easy and impressive.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    I didn't do it for my first cook, but a lot of folks including me think a pork butt is pretty foolproof. Just have to be aware on the time and be ready for FTC (foil-towel-cooler) if it is done too soon. Big wow factor there too. Rub is important on a pork butt, so if you have one you like, it might be a good choice.

Stay away from pizza for the first cook.
    LBGE