Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Crab Cakes

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Move over, Maryland.  There's a new sheriff in town.

If you're looking for an exact duplicate of Maryland Crab Cakes, you'll be disappointed.  But, if you want a spicy, Southwestern flavored crab cake, you'll love this.  I got the recipe from the Homesick Texan.

Cooking in butter in my comal in the Mini.

For some reason, this batch of cakes didn't quite hold together as before.  Still delicious, but not as pretty.  So, I'm attaching a picture of my last cook.

Crab Cakes with Chipotle Chiles and Corn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: The Homesick Texan Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 pound Crabmeat

1/2 cup Mayonaise

2 cloves Garlic, minced

1/2 cup corn kernels

1 Chipolte in Adobo sauce, finely diced

1/2 cup Cilantro, diced

1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon Cumin    

1/4 teaspoon Ginger, ground

1/4 cup Lime juice

1 cup Saltine crackers, finely crushed

Salt & Pepper, to taste

2 tablespoons Unsalted butter

Directions:

1. Stir together the mayonnaise, garlic, corn, chipotle, cilantro, cayenne, cumin, ginger, and lime juice until ingredients are well combined.

2. Add the crabmeat, then stir in the cracker crumbs, adding salt and pepper to taste.

3. Form into 8 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.

4. To cook, melt the butter into a cast iron skillet and put on Egg. Cook each side until golden brown.

5. Serve with Texas Tartar sauce.  I just bought tartar sauce from grocery store and put Louisiana hot sauce and lime juice in it.  Pam says the crab cakes don't need  a sauce.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Tell Pam she's right and then beg for forgiveness. 

Those look great. I'm bookmarking this one. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Das a load of spices for you Gary. Looks real good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We make crab cakes all the time...well, SWMBO makes them.  Blue lump is relatively cheap here because of all water (still ain't cheap). Her roasted red pepper aioli puts them over the top.  I'll ask her for the recipe if you're interested.  I'm talking serious gour-met (bleep!).
    If that was for me I make a roasted garlic aioli with thyme and tarragon. I use king crab and lump together cause the king is cheaper here in season. Like to see the missus's recipe.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    We make crab cakes all the time...well, SWMBO makes them.  Blue lump is relatively cheap here because of all water (still ain't cheap). Her roasted red pepper aioli puts them over the top.  I'll ask her for the recipe if you're interested.  I'm talking serious gour-met (bleep!).
    I'm interested.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Nola.  I'm always interested in seeing another recipe.  Knowing you, it probably has the "holy trinity" in it, which may not be a bad thing.   :D

Lump crab meat is usually not real expensive here in Houston, either.  It typically comes from Mexico in a 1 pound tub.  Price usually about $9.95 on sale.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Ww, looks very good.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    She brought me the cookbook...has notes all over the page from modifications, but here it is. (sorry, no mirepoix!)

1 roasted red bell pepper (jar roasted red bell pepper works fine too) cut up
    2 cloves garlic, cut up
    2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup light mayo (or 1/2 cup light and 1/2 cup sour cream)
    fresh dill to taste.

In a food processor, process the pepper and garlic.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.  Cover and chill.  Serve at room temperature.

Gary that just looks good man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    This is definitely one that I have to try out. The flavors packed in there sound great without overpowering the crab itself.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Me thinking I need to get a comal now. Looks outstanding.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    that looks great to me, i have never had a crab cake i thought was good and its because of lack of flavor, spicing it up would be a great thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Looks great. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93