Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
boiler
boiler Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Beef
I have tried brisket twice on the big green egg.  For the most part I have been cooking at about 225 deg.  I have been taking them off when the internal hits about 190.  Both times the outside and inside seem dry but have great flavor and bark using the mustard and rub application.  Am I taking the meat off too early or cooking it too long?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cook mine at 275-300 on the dome and they are normally ready at 195-ish. Brisket is funny; As much as we say "cook to temp" around here, brisket is really "cook to feel". make sure the temp probe slides in the thickest part of the FLAT (if you aren't sure what this is, ask) like butter. Should happen anywhere from 190-200. You will find your briskets will be much more moist on the egg at a little higher cooking temps and a little shorter times. It's different than a big side box smoker so throw that thinking out. Try 275-300 and prepare for about 1-1.25 hrs per lb at those temps.
    I think you'll be happy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boiler
    Options
    Thanks.  I will try that next time.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I cook mine at 275-300 on the dome and they are normally ready at 195-ish. Brisket is funny; As much as we say "cook to temp" around here, brisket is really "cook to feel". make sure the temp probe slides in the thickest part of the FLAT (if you aren't sure what this is, ask) like butter. Should happen anywhere from 190-200. You will find your briskets will be much more moist on the egg at a little higher cooking temps and a little shorter times. It's different than a big side box smoker so throw that thinking out. Try 275-300 and prepare for about 1-1.25 hrs per lb at those temps.
    I think you'll be happy

Noted! Going to try a small brisket soon. I have never done one before and was scouring the forum for info from you :)) Thanks. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think you'll be happy

Hey! I thought Travis was the Brisket King around here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Little Steven we are into French Sauces now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I think you'll be happy

Stirring the pot.......
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Hear ye hear ye

I will allow cen tex to comment on brisket. He kinda knows what he is doing.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think you'll be happy

Stirring the pot.......
    Moi?
    :-/

Steve 

Caledon, ON