Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smelly Egg

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I went about 15 days without using my egg.  I left it with the bottom vent closed, the ceramic cap on and it was covered with the BGE cover.  When i opened it up this weekend to do burgers it smelled gross. Kind of like an ashtray mixed with bad meat.  Once i got the lump going and let it go for awhile it was fine.  I was just wondering if there is a way to avoid this in the future.  I typically let the egg run for a good 20 minutes after my cooks with the vents fully open to try and help burn any meat residue off the inside before i shut it down completely.  I was thinking once it was cooled i could open the vents, remove the cap, then cover.  This way some air will circulate through the egg when not in use.  How do you guys leave your egg when you know it might be a few weeks before its next use?

Comments

• AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Options
    I always leave mine just like you said and have never had a problem. It always has that beautiful smell of charcoal and meat when I open it up for my next cook!!!
  • miscjames
    Options
    Mike i just leave mine sealed up. maybe some dripping or meat fell down on you lump. my concern with you leaving it open (it appears you leave your egg outside ) is the buildup of moisture which in turn would cause mold.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Never went that long without using it! I would be afraid to leave the vent open and lid off. I would think that is an invite for moisture.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Never went that long without using it! I would be afraid to leave the vent open and lid off. I would think that is an invite for moisture.

+1

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You're opening up the vents and running it full blast, then snuffing it.  All those hot coals are going to bake without oxygen and leave some nasty smoke deposits over the entire inside of the egg.  You might want to reduce the fire if it isn't already before snuffing it. 

Also, if you weren't using a drip pan you could have fats leaking down where it won't burn right away.  These fats can get rancid.  Solution to that is use a drip pan or some method to catch them for removal (HD foil for example). 

I don't think leaving the bottom vent open to air out is a bad idea if you're not going to cook for a prolonged time.  You have a cover so it's doubtful any water would run in there.