Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small nuclear temp update

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well folks. The problem's solved. The magic missing ingredient was...[p]Time!![p]I loaded it up, lit it, left the lid up for about 15 minutes, then I closed the lid (with all vents open, hit it with a little fan for about 5 minutes and walked away. 60 minutes later, it was at 800 plus. I have pics, although the really hot ones are out of focus and by the time I got some in focus, I had capped the fire and the temp had dipped to a mere 700ish. [p]Next time I want to trex on the small, I'll just start earlier. Besides, the longer it takes to get hot, the more time I have to enjoy cold malted beverages on the deck.[p]Cheers to all!![p]Todd
Thanks for the info.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    yes time but if you want to take the next terrific move on your small add a cast iron grate. Here's the one I made:
    IMG_00851.jpg

by cutting it out of this rectangular piece using a sabre saw.
    IMG_00591.jpg

Here's the only pix I have one file of the grill marks - since then I've learned to amke them into a perfect cross hatch - but you get the idea...
    IMG_0444.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    yes time but if you want to take the next terrific move on your small add a cast iron grate. Here's the one I made:
    IMG_00851.jpg

by cutting it out of this rectangular piece using a sabre saw.
    IMG_00591.jpg

Here's the only pix I have one file of the grill marks - since then I've learned to make them into a perfect cross hatch - but you get the idea...
    IMG_0446.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]the bad news of getting nuclear, even for a minute, is that I cooked most of my gasket and a chunk came out of the lower front of the egg. I think maybe this last part is why they stopped using the locator pins...[p]