Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip success. (pics)

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally found a local store to get quality cuts of tri-tip and wanted to have a go at Egging one.
Bought a three pounder that I marinated for 24 hours in a combo of worcestershire, soy, honey, mustard, garlic and black pepper.
Set my XL Egg up with all the WGWW lump in the right side of the firebox. Wanted to try out some baked potatoes on the Egg as well. Placed those opposite the coals at about 350 degrees and started them about an hour before I planned on adding the tri-tip.
Pulled the tt out of the fridge and wiped off the marinade and dry rubbed it and left it out to come up to room temp.
Added the tt to the grill on the lump side and seared each side for a couple minutes each. Then placed it opposite the coals to finish the cook. Pulled it at medium and and devoured. Baked potatoes turned out perfect as well.
I want to do another one today! Possibly the best meal I've made on the Egg yet!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice bark!
    Good looking cook. I use the same cooking process, but all I do is season with some Santa Maria rub about an hour before the TT hits the BGE.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I am a fan of tri tip, but you know what made me like it even more?  I cut the slices almost lunchmeat thin, as thin as I can without a slicer, and I really like it that way.  I recommend giving it a shot and seeing if you like it - nothing wrong with slicing thicker, just my personal preference and I am putting it out there to see if anyone else might like it just the same.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Good look tri tip, love it. I also use Susie Q's Santa  Maria rub on mine. Some time you should try the Santa Maria style pinquito beans with it I think you will like it.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Getting ready for my first tri this week. @ellis can you point m to the bean recipe?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    r270, yes the recipe is out of Steven Raich BBQ USA, also try www.susieqbrand.com
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2012
    BYS1981 said:
    I am a fan of tri tip, but you know what made me like it even more?  I cut the slices almost lunchmeat thin, as thin as I can without a slicer, and I really like it that way.  I recommend giving it a shot and seeing if you like it - nothing wrong with slicing thicker, just my personal preference and I am putting it out there to see if anyone else might like it just the same.

I'm with you in liking it sliced thin against the grain.

Nice job on yours YEMTrey.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Guys who haven't made tri tip yet, I suggest searching R2Egg2Q's recipe out.  My favorite way of making tri tip.  Reverse searing.  I roast mine until about 110 and then sear until 135.  I did that with some tbones last night.
  • inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Perfection! I would suggest you guys who love tri tip to try dry white wine and good italian dressing in an equal ratio, sliced limes, and crushed garlic to marinate the fat capped tri tip for three days. Sear it at high heat to give it a nice bark on the both sides then go slow to get it to your preference temperature of how cooked it is. It goes great with the mexican rice, salsa, chili beans, and tortillas.