Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm gonna start eating "Travis Style" oysters

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've never been an oyster eater.  Looking at people slurping down live, raw oysters has turned my stomach in the past.
However, there must be something to it - so many people like them.  Also, my new Cajun cookbook is full of oyster recipes.
So, in 20 minutes, when Williams Sonoma opens, I'm going there to buy an oyster knife.  I saw two videos on how to shuck, so I am an expert.

Travis was a big hit at Salado with his grilled oysters.  I think I'll try his way, if I can find live oysters to buy.
Thanks, Travis !! 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The quintessential oyster knife is a straight forward affair. White handle and 2 1/2 or 3in blade. Avoid the trendy short blades with huge choils. 

What to get:

What not to get:
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    A flat bladed screwdriver will work in a pinch. Also a good pair of gloves similiar to these.
      No gloves, can get badly cut hands.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pairs-two-sided-pvc-dot-gloves-30413.html

We like them raw or lightly steamed on BGE.  Lemon juice, horseradish, butter and saltine crackers.  Sometimes cook with bacon, cheese, spinach bread crumbs and a few other choices.

Here is one idea:
    Oysters, Italian

INGREDIENTS:  

Procedure:
    1 Wash and shuck 24 extra small oysters. Clear both muscles, top and bottom, and return to shell.
    2 Place oysters in the half-shell in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. For seasoning, you will need approximately 1/4 cup brandy, 1/2 cup garlic butter and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
    3 Sprinkle each oyster with 1/2 Tsp. brandy and top with at least 1 Tsp. garlic butter and 1 Tsp. Parmesan.
    4 In a preheated 425°F oven, bake until cheese melts and oysters are gently poached in garlic butter, about 6-8 minutes. Remove and place on serving dishes. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
    5 Serves 6 as an appetizer.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source

Author: "The Ark Restaurant"

Source: Richard Howe

• Wow!  "Travis Brisket" thread & "Travis Oyster" thread.  I'm waiting for the "Going Commando Like Travis" thread!   :))
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Back in my restaurant days I must have shucked thousands.  We hold them with a rag and use the knife travis recommends.  I still have a couple of those - we can buy sacks around here for about $38.  Oyster boats dock up the road.

About 1 in 4 new bus boys would stab themselves with an oyster knife the first week and someone would have to drive them to the hospital.  This was back in the '80s.  I'm sure everyone uses the gloves now with insurance and safety being such a big deal.

This is the best grilled oyster recipe.  Period.  Dragos grilled oysters are ubiquitous around these here parts.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/03/19/dragos-style-charbroiled-oyster-recipe/
    edited October 2012
    There are a few regional knives that work well. Don't get the stainless handled ones - you want a good grip.

I don't use gloves. Just a rotating pile of bar towels.

Get a good stiff brush to scrub the oysters free of dirt. This is a vital stage.

If you don't have access to a restaurant supply house, I've shucked a thousand oysters with the following knife and found it to be superior to most others. Sur la Table had them on sale for $5 a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004OCLC
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Based on my experience chucking my share of the world's oyster population here are some chuckin' tips.

Finesse and technique are the keys.  If you're straining to get the knife in the hinge, you're not following he best angle.  Once you get a slight toe-hold in the hinge, slightly twist back and forth to work the knife in enough that you can give a full twist to open the shells.  Wipe the knife off before cutting the muscle.  No one likes a bunch of mud in their oyster.  If the shell is already open, 86 it.  I take a whiff of each oyster I open.  Eat one bad one and you'll understand why.
    ...and I always hose the outside off before I start shuckin'.