Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon caught at wally world

glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some pre packaged salmon filets at wally world
is there a good way to egg these things up
they are kinda small about 5 oz each and they of course were frozen
but I thought I would give em a shot. at 59 cents a package it can make for some cheap eats
I havent done salmon on the egg before
any help would be nice
Glenn

Comments

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    glenn,
    Try this, if it's not too late. Marinate in 1/2 cup soy and 1/4 cup molasses (or 1/8 cup apiece molasses and maple syrup) as a base; if you can, add 2-3 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp black pepper; let sit for 1 hour if you can.[p]Cook salmon, skin down, indirect at 250 for about 1/2 hour, basting twice w/ marinade--more if you can't do the initial soak. Use lots of alder or apple wood for smoke.[p]Enjoy![p]Jim

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    glenn,
    Read down a few posts to "I finally lit the Egg." I just did a 2-hand size piece of salmon and it was great.[p]Spring "Early Bird" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• glenn,
    Salmon is one of our favorite things on the egg. We get the
    skinless stuff from Costco--always fresher than the grocery
    and hard to beat at $3.89/lb.
    We like it a little crisp on the bottom so we start it out on the egg a 400 to 450 for a few minutes with a good handfull of soaked alder chips, then shut it down for about
    10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness. Bottom is crisp and the middle is mouthwatering juicy.
    For prep, I first spray a little olive oil on a plate, set
    the salmon on it, put some lemon or lime juice over it (let it soak in about 5 minutes or so--doesn't take long), then
    a little olive oil on top, followed by a little dill and a
    good helping of Dizzy Pig Tsunami.
    Before Tsunami, I used lemon pepper and a store bought seafood seasoning--don't remember which.
    If your salmon isn't skinned, you want it skin side down.
    Grillnut[p]