Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

difference in these pork butts?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
had both of these at the Commissary today...same price, cut (description-wise) and only one day difference in pack date.  what is the difference other than the color and packing type, and which is better?
·

Comments

• Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
    The one that is vacuum sealed I think is more compact / does not fall apart as easily when cooking.
    ·
  • Well- the descriptions are actually different. It looks to me that one is a "boston butt" which is the back of the  shoulder and shoulder blade bone and the other is described as an "Pork Arm Picnic" which is the front shoulder and femur. 

The picnic does not look like a normal picnic to me but they may have cut the bone a little shorter than most traditional picnics are cut. 

I would always go with the cryo packed in a case like this (just my opinion). People play funny tricks with meat when it gets out of the cryo. It lasts weeks in the cryo but days in the shrink wrap so they have to move it fast

·
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 272
    I think he is talking about the one in the middle on the second photo and they do both read the same in that case.
    ·
  • Looks to me that the one that is vacuum sealed was shipped to the store that way. The other was probably cut from a large piece of meat. Hopefully Meatshop will be along I am sure he knows. 
    ·
  • Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
    GaryLange said:

I think he is talking about the one in the middle on the second photo and they do both read the same in that case.

Correct.

I went with the cryo packed butt...

·