Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

difference in these pork butts?

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
had both of these at the Commissary today...same price, cut (description-wise) and only one day difference in pack date.  what is the difference other than the color and packing type, and which is better?

Comments

• Mole351
    The one that is vacuum sealed I think is more compact / does not fall apart as easily when cooking.
  • Well- the descriptions are actually different. It looks to me that one is a "boston butt" which is the back of the  shoulder and shoulder blade bone and the other is described as an "Pork Arm Picnic" which is the front shoulder and femur. 

The picnic does not look like a normal picnic to me but they may have cut the bone a little shorter than most traditional picnics are cut. 

I would always go with the cryo packed in a case like this (just my opinion). People play funny tricks with meat when it gets out of the cryo. It lasts weeks in the cryo but days in the shrink wrap so they have to move it fast

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I think he is talking about the one in the middle on the second photo and they do both read the same in that case.
  • Looks to me that the one that is vacuum sealed was shipped to the store that way. The other was probably cut from a large piece of meat. Hopefully Meatshop will be along I am sure he knows. 
  • Mole351
    GaryLange said:

I think he is talking about the one in the middle on the second photo and they do both read the same in that case.

Correct.

I went with the cryo packed butt...