Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What Butt is Better?

bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 946
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have two 9 LB butts I put on last night. I will be pulling them in a few hours and delivering one to my parents for dinner. Of the two, one came up in temp quicker and stalled longer (red line) than the other. Both are the same weight, same trimming, same temp when I put them on and they were put on at the same time. Any trends others have found?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,817
    The back of the egg is hotter if you had them oriented front and back.

·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    My man nola knows of what he speaks.  Also, those damn things are all different and have a mind of their own.
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 946

I do have them front/ back orientation but the one that started off cooler has passed the hotter one. If there was a hot spot, the one should've started hotter and stayed that way. I also have the CGS oval stone in so all heat comes from the sides.

I'm trying to find a trend of the stall temp/ time during the stall giving better/ worse results.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,817
    After 3 hours, they look pretty similar to me.  If you have a Thermapen, or some other instant read thermometer and you stab the meat in different locations or move it up or down, you'll notice differences in the temp.  You could have one probe in a seam of fat, the other in meat.  Small differences aren't meaningful.

What temp was the dome or grate when you cooked and was the red or green in the back?  If the red wasn't in back, it doesn't make sense.

The stall is where the food gets hot enough the moisture in the meat starts evaporating, and that evaporative cooling keeps the temperature from rising as fast.  It can even drop a little.

·
  • This reminds me of a true classic:

A play, in 3 acts.................funny stuff

·
  • reh111reh111 Posts: 150
    How about this one?
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,376
    This reminds me of a true classic:

Damn, that was funny.  =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • bud812 said:

@#!*% , that was funny.  =))
    Say what you want, dude is funny. 

·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,376
    I do miss him. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    edited October 2012
    bud812 said:

@#!*% , that was funny.  =))
    Say what you want, dude is funny. 
    I feel like I am always the butt of his jokes. Get it? He is a true genius

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • reh111 said:
    How about this one?
    Yes! This would work.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·