Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woking on the Egg - The Movie

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

If you are looking for something to expand your Egg's capabilities, buy a wok. 

Take a look at what some Eggheads have posted from their woking experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzMLwKizF4&list=UUd8OXP_tkp28l2eMVZJHBXg&index=1&feature=plcp

Spring "Wok A Bye Baby" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

Comments

• I am so stoked!  Wife watched the mini videos and now demands a mini for our anniversary this month. Yahoooooo!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    LSU - you a fan?
    edited October 2012
  • Richard...  There doesn't seem to be as many Wokheads on this side of the fence.  I thought the Wok Movie would 'stir-fry' some interest in woking on the Egg, especially with so many people trying to lose weight.  But maybe not.

Spring "Not Everyone Cares To Wok And Wol" Chicken

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I am not a huge fan of stir fry. What other main uses for a wok are there? I'm interested in eating healthier.
    Boom
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012

Richard...  There doesn't seem to be as many Wokheads on this side of the fence.  I thought the Wok Movie would 'stir-fry' some interest in woking on the Egg, especially with so many people trying to lose weight.  But maybe not.

Spring "Not Everyone Cares To Wok And Wol" Chicken

Au contraire, mon Creole.  I bet there's more.  But, as with the forum on the other side of the tracks, wokking comes in spurts.  It lays low and simmers, then explodes like Mt. Vesuvius on Pompeii.  But, I think folks probably prefer to see their own cooks in a movie, rather than strangers'.

Village "I just got back from Italy" Idiot

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    hapster said:
    I for one will be woking... Just as soon as I season the damn thing!
    And you will be awesome, Hapster.  In case you hadn't seen it, Trane Chan of The Wok Shop has a video for seasoning your wok.  Click here.

Don't worry about getting it totally black, that will come in time.  Just make sure you heat the wok up first, add oil, and swirl it around before adding your ingredients.  That opens up the pores in the wok, which is filled with the oil, and should cause it to be non-stick.

And, whatever you do, remember this.  保持食品用鍋鏟。

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Keep food with a spatula
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    "sparking is badness"?
    Pasting that into google, then translating the top hit had a list with this:

Excessive food stir fry. Over-stir fry let food can not be fully heated, lack unique taste, but also into offal gooey pot of delicious dishes.
  • Also, if you can, use a wooden spatula.  I see some terribly scarred woks on the forum.  People take great pride in seasoning them, then deface them with their steel chuans.  I am somewhat guilty myself, sometimes.   ~X(

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Also, if you can, use a wooden spatula.  I see some terribly scarred woks on the forum.  People take great pride in seasoning them, then deface them with their steel chuans.  I am somewhat guilty myself, sometimes.   ~X(
    Yup.  I switched to bamboo utensils and my wok is healing.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    I read somewhere a while back that you should use metal tools because they smooth out the metal in the wok and make it more non-stick - almost mirror like.  Maybe that was for cast iron.  Or maybe that's just if it's in commercial use and gets used like castle steps....
    I read somewhere a while back that you should use metal tools because they smooth out the metal in the wok and make it more non-stick - almost mirror like.  Maybe that was for cast iron.  Or maybe that's just if it's in commercial use and gets used like castle steps....
    Depends if it is hammered or spun, bamboo on hammered, steel on spun. 

Best non-asian thing in a wok is fajitas, great job on chicken or beef, peppers and onion. I also use mine for Cinci chili - mostly due to the size.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!