Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steak-Filet

Options
pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I am back at this weekend, going to be doing a brisket overnight saturday night and have 2 whole tenderloins that I am cutting up into filets for my father in laws surprise 80th birthday party, for 25 people on Sunday...

Some questions about grilling filets on the egg (I know it may be pretty basic, but still dont want to and don't have time to screw it up)

I have the spider and CI grid for egg as well, getting the egg fired up just standard correct?  What dome temp should I let the egg get up to? I know that when I use the spider with the CI grid down closer to the coals the temp will be much higher for searing, how long typically for CI to heat up to the right temperature? 

I have about 1.5 Inch filets, assuming dome temp of about 500, how long to sear the filets?  Then I am going to let them rest and bring temp down to about 400, do I cook them with plate setter in for indirect or just raised direct?

As always sorry for all the questions, but THANK YOU for the invaluable information and advice... Pics to follow..
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• pileit1971
    Options
    Anyone?
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I usually cook ribeyes, but I would do a filet the same way.  

I do a reverse sear. I cook them indirect at 250 until the internal temperature is around 105 - 110. It usually takes about 20 to 30 mins.  Then I take them off, put them on a plate covered with foil, take the plate setter out, and open the vents up all the way.  In just a few minutes the fire will be crazy hot.  I have no idea what dome temp.  Just as hot as I can get it.  Then I put the steaks on the regular grate direct for about 2mins/side.  The steaks end up about 130 - 140 internal.

I don't have a spider or a cast iron grate, or I would use them.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL