Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trutel or Just the BGE Temp Gauge

ceanes
ceanes Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Off Topic

Hey Guys,

I recently discovered that my BGE Gauge is need of replacement. Should I opt for the Trutel or stick with the BGE gauge? If I go with the Trutel, which one is best for the egg and where is the best place to purchase? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited October 2012
    Tel-tru is now the manufacturer of Big Green Egg's stock thermometer's, so whether you buy it with the BGE badge or not, you're going to get a Tel-tru.  The advantage of getting an unbadged Tel-tru, is you have the option of getting it in a different temperature range, but in doing so, make sure the stem length is the same.

Take a look at this Naked-Whiz article, for details: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/whichteltru.htm

If you click on this link to the Tel-tru website, you'll see the "standard" BGE thermometer (150/750 degrees, 3.5" stem). Clicking on the right and left arrows, will take you to other temperature options and stem lengths: http://www.teltru.com/p-602-big-green-egg-primo-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-35-inch-stem-150750-degrees-f.aspx
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think it might be Tel-Tru rather than Trutel, the Naked Whiz has some info, check his site. Prices I've seen are slightly less than a BGE replacement, although that depends on wether your dealer gives you a deal.
    Tel-Trus are available from sources on-line, including Amazon. I know htere are different probe lengths available, just watch how far the probe penetrates the dome, it can get in the way.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ceanes
    ceanes Posts: 5

I have found a 5" stem Tel Tru but i wonder if thats too long. My BGE Stem is 3". I'll keep looking online I guess. Thanks for the help.