Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged ribeye - from grocery store to belly (8 pics)

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I hadn't done dry aging before, so I thought I'd give it a try.  As many already knew, it's really easy.  Just takes some time.

I bought 3 prime ribeye steaks at Costco.  Uh, very expensive, but they say to only use good stuff.

Next, wrap each one in cheese cloth.  A video I looked at said that would keep the outer layer from getting crusty.

Put them in the refrigerator and keep the temperature between 35 and 38 degrees F.

After 4 days, it looks like this.  The skin is very firm, but not crusty.

Put it on the mini, and sear it for 90 seconds on each side.

Let it rest under loose foil for 20 minutes while the mini is getting down to about 400 degrees.  Then cook it and pull around 140 for medium rare.

Plate it and eat it.  I made Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings to go with it.

Medium rare.  It was very tasty and very tender.  But, it was a prime cut, so it should have been that way anyway.  I don't know how to tell how much better the dry aging made it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Interesting. I assumed that it would be drastically different. I want to do a large bone in but I'm the only one at my house that eats good food. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That looks like a very tasty steak - prime, I'm jealous.  Typically larger primal cuts are dry aged - the drying is accelerated with steak cuts (more surface area) but I think the enzymatic tenderizing is more a time function. You outta try a sub-primal cut over 28 days (where the outside looks disgusting at the end).    Beautiful pictures - are you using an SLR?
    Hes probably using his D300. I'm going to steal it at Salado. 
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    I'm a Canon guy.  I tried switching to Nikon in the film days, but I guess I was too used to Canon ergonomics.  I have an old 10D.  I have a lot of pro lenses.  Been thinking about the 5D II.

If you steal it, make sure you get the lenses. The picture is only as good as the lens.
    You'd steal my D300?  After all I've done for you?  Have you forgotten that night, when we were both in the Army, and I saved you from that fight you were having with Fatso?  Man, what an ingrate.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    you guys are old.  I can tell because they didn't invent the prop bar chair until the early '70s.
    edited October 2012
    Crappy cell-phone pic of my SLR.

edited October 2012
    oops. Double post.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Nola,
    I forget the Canon models.  Did that produce a Daguerrotype or a Tintype?  I forget.  Also, when CocaCola changed their bottles, did you upgrade to the new Canon lenses?

Just kidding.  I've always said that both Canon and Nikon make better cameras than the operator behind them (in my case).  I'm a Nikon guy only because I have used their interface since the early '70s.  I had a friend who got a Canon Rebel and wanted me to teach her how to use it.  I was lost.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    I shot pictures like a rabid journalist for years and years.   My old SLR takes incredible pictures, I'm just too lazy to grab it when my cell phone is right on my belt. 

Nikon, Canon and all the others, all great cameras.    I should start using the SLR again. My phone camera sucks unless the lighting is great.
    I shot pictures like a rabid journalist for years and years.   My old SLR takes incredible pictures, I'm just too lazy to grab it when my cell phone is right on my belt. 

Nikon, Canon and all the others, all great cameras.    I should start using the SLR again. My phone camera sucks unless the lighting is great.
    Your whole problem stems from the fact that you wear your phone on your belt. NERD!!!!!!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    I

Your whole problem stems from the fact that you wear your phone on your belt. NERD!!!!!!!!!!
    It's not actually on my belt, hangs on my pants pocket. But you right, I AM A NERD!!!  It's not a problem, it's a badge of honor.  A really dorky badge of honor.
    Thats a handsome looking steak VI. You guys are hilarious. My wife said I laugh more on this fourm then I learn on it.
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012

hapster said:
    Looks great!!! Shoot an A700 since I switched over from Minolta in my film days... Funny how Egg people are generally DSLR people as well... Whatever gets the job done. As long as you can create the image you want...
    I worked all summer back in 1979 (think I was 15) at the Heidelberg's Patton Barracks base JAG office making $2.15/hr.  Blew all my pay on a Canon A1.  Used to build models of planes, hang them on strings and set them on fire, shooting pics.  We had a darkroom, and dad didn't care if we used it as long as we cleaned up.   Still have a bunch of dorky B&W prints from way back then. 

I'm a fixed focal length guy.  I don't have a single zoom lens.  All my stuff it f2.8 or better except for a 400 f4.  Saw digital as the future and sold all my film bodies for good money.  Boy am I glad.

hapster said:
    Looks great!!! Shoot an A700 since I switched over from Minolta in my film days... Funny how Egg people are generally DSLR people as well... Whatever gets the job done. As long as you can create the image you want...
    I worked all summer back in 1979 (think I was 15) at the Heidelberg's Patton Barracks base JAG office making $2.15/hr.  Blew all my pay on a Canon A1.  Used to build models of planes, hang them on strings and set them on fire, shooting pics.  We had a darkroom, and dad didn't care if we used it as long as we cleaned up.   Still have a bunch of dorky B&W prints from way back then. 

I'm a fixed focal length guy.  I don't have a single zoom lens.  All my stuff it f2.8 or better except for a 400 f4.  Saw digital as the future and sold all my film bodies for good money.  Boy am I glad.
    I also have an A1.  Used to do b&w in my own darkroom.  

Nothing to contribute to this thread except a "Robble robble!" for the A1..  :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead

hapster said:

Nothing to contribute to this thread except a "Robble robble!" for the A1..  :)

Still have it? 

I have a couple of buddies that are photo journalists.  They'd supply me with an unlimited amount of film.  If a roll sat in their cars for over a week, they'd consider it stale.  Subsequently, I have thousands and thousands of pictures from second lines, parades and other mardi gras stuff, and, well, everything. 

hapster said:
    >>SNIP!!<<
    Still have it? 

I have a couple of buddies that are photo journalists.  They'd supply me with an unlimited amount of film.  If a roll sat in their cars for over a week, they'd consider it stale.  Subsequently, I have thousands and thousands of pictures from second lines, parades and other mardi gras stuff, and, well, everything. 
    Got rid of the darkroom.  Bittersweet, but that stuff gets expensive.  Took up a cheaper hobby - golfing with single malt and exotic cigars...  

Since the digital revolution, I haven't had it out of the closet.  Shame...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424

One more who remembers Dektol, D76, stop bath, etc.

Currently Nikon D90, but the full frame D800 is calling ever so softly..... 

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DonWW said:

One more who remembers Dektol, D76, stop bath, etc.

Currently Nikon D90, but the full frame D800 is calling ever so softly..... 

... and fixer.  I got into color too, but never enjoyed it as much as b&w.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    I remember all that black and white chemistry.  I had a few Nikon film cameras.  An F4 and a couple N90s bodies (which interestingly you can buy used on Amazon for $38).

I have my DSLR set up special for me (the control options).  The way I take pictures is I meter on a neutral area in the same light as my subject, hold the exposure lock button, then focus, then compose and click.  I Generally just keep it in program mode and roll the shutter/aperture up or down if I want to control depth of field or I'm shooting something moving. 

Never got into color film developing or printing.
    Hes probably using his D300. I'm going to steal it at Salado. 
    You'd steal my D300?  After all I've done for you?  Have you forgotten that night, when we were both in the Army, and I saved you from that fight you were having with Fatso?  Man, what an ingrate.

So Travis, you can play a bugle like a trumpet?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• So Travis, you can play a bugle like a trumpet?
    My absolute favorite movie of all time.  I even named the best dog I've ever had "Robert E. Lee Pruitt".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

OK, OK, I wear my Govt Blackberry on my belt, and my Iphone too, but not because I'm a nerd.  I wore a duty belt so much that it just feels natural.  I only wish I could have a holster on one side.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    nolaegghead You outta try a sub-primal cut over 28 days (where the outside looks disgusting at the end).    Beautiful pictures - are you using an SLR?
    I was thinking too that only 4 days may have not made a big difference.  Also, 140 sounds kinda high, but the color of the steak looks perfect!  

For the record:  Nikon N6006 (sold), FM-2 and F-4 (still have) and now using a D200; too many Nikkors to mention.  
    :>

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Botch said:
    nolaegghead You outta try a sub-primal cut over 28 days (where the outside looks disgusting at the end).    Beautiful pictures - are you using an SLR?
    I was thinking too that only 4 days may have not made a big difference.  Also, 140 sounds kinda high, but the color of the steak looks perfect!  

For the record:  Nikon N6006 (sold), FM-2 and F-4 (still have) and now using a D200; too many Nikkors to mention.  
    :>

+1. I've gone over 100 days on a full primal. I have compared, side by side, fresh steaks too. No contest

Steve 

Caledon, ON