Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying Advise: Used BGE Medium

Options
bigeggbulldog
bigeggbulldog Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi I am looking to buy a used egg.  I posted in another site forum but figured I'd post here to get some more opinions.  Seller says it's a medium egg that is about 10 years old.  What do you think is a fair price for this egg?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/eajv6

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ujobi

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/lc1l4

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/7s65d

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/3umbu

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/fooiy

Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2012
    Options
    How much $$$ is he asking
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigeggbulldog
    Options

I can get it for $200.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That not a bad price if it's in perfect condition.  You want to pull out all the ceramics and check for cracks.  Maybe pour a gallon of water in it and see if it leaks.
    Retail price in Houston for a new one is $680.  If it's 10 years old, I'd say $200 is probably max.  As said above, check it out real good.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigeggbulldog
    Options
    Won't a gallon of water flow out the bottom vent?  Or is there enough space below the vent to hold that water?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I dunno exactly what volume it'll hold before it starts spilling out, but you can grab a hose and tilt it so the vent is a little higher up and if there's water leaking from the bottom, you probably don't want it - a crack will grow.

ok i'll pull out all the peices & check'em for cracks and test the bottom for cracks. 

if there aren't any then it sounds like $200 is a fair price???

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options

ok i'll pull out all the peices & check'em for cracks and test the bottom for cracks. 

in my area they CL the nest for $100...  Buy it..  Great find..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'd buy it for that price in two seconds if it didn't have any problems.  We almost NEVER see used ones down here in our market.  If the owner didn't look destitute, I'd try beating him down on the price, or for anything wrong with it - "that gasket is TRASHED, that'll cost me at least $30!"
    Options
    I have a small from that was given to me from that time frame. They are lighter green than the new ones and aren't glazed. The ceramic is actually thicker on the older eggs. pretty sure it's more than 10 years old. Mine came with a ceramic fire grate and a dealer I was talking to said they quit making the ceramic grate like 12 years ago and that was like 3 years ago so it's probably closer to 15 years old. As stated check the base for cracks well. Don't poor water in the base I have had 2 bases crack and when the egg is cold the ceramics push back together and its barely visible and there's no way water could get through it. The white on the bottom is the easiest place to see the crack if there is one. I would buy for $200 for sure if you don't find a crack.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, you're right, the crack would likely be visible on the bottom.
    Options

Even if the fire box and ring are cracked it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Dunno if it's been said but avoid the clay one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, the firebox/ring can each be in two pieces and it'll work just as well.  But I'd beat down the price if that's the case.

Even if the fire box and ring are cracked it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Dunno if it's been said but avoid the clay one.
    This isn't a clay one is it?  How can I tell?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Its not clay. Look at the 4th pic below the cooking grate you can see the old ceramic fire grate. Its now cast iron but that's how they used to come 15 years ago.
  • Lit
    Options

look for cracks like this. both of mine that cracked cracked right below the lower vent. also a pic of my small like thst one. for 100 bucks or so you can get the new spring band and a new bottom vent and it will be as good as neimage.image

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks like a crack an inch and a half from your thumb

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Options
    yeah. the crack was small when the egg was cold but at 700 ash could get through it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Lit,

Sorry I thought that pic was from the OP

Steve 

Caledon, ON