Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Questions about installing nomex gasket

RafaelRafael Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have the self adhesive gasket. Does it need to be put in the dryer or oven to preshrink?
Is there any reason to install it on both halves? Seems to me that just putting it on the bottom half would be enough to ensure a seal.
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    edited October 2012
    You want to scrape off your old gasket, sand off any old adhesive, clean all the grease and oil off with acetone or alcohol. 

Then apply the gasket to both hemispheres.  It's not thick enough for just one - the Rutland is. 

Close it, do the dollar bill test.  If it fails, loosen the ring lag bolts and adjust until it does.  Then let the weight of the top set the gasket adhesive overnight. 

The next couple of cooks keep it below 400F.

Tip - the gasket scrapes off easier when the egg is warm

Search on youtube a video on nomex gasket replacement for the BGE.

You don't need to preshrink it.  Not the one with the self-adhesive at least.

·
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 128
    +1 on no need to pre-shrink the self adhesive gasket.  I used the 3M 77 adhesive spray in addition to the adhesive already on the nomex gasket.  I replaced the gasket on the base only about a year ago; the original top gasket is pretty much charred remains at this point, but I have no issues with maintaining low temps for hours on end.  
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
    ·