Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just purchased a Rutland gasket from Amazon on advice from a fellow eggheader.

Options
deenet
deenet Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a Rutland gasket from Amazon on advice from a fellow eggheader and I want to get some opinions on the best adhesive to use. I know that the adhesive that comes with the gasket is crap. Also, what is the best way to remove the old felt gasket material without harming my egg and without using any nasty solvents?

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Get the egg warm, not hot. Use a metal scraper to remove old gasket. Clean with sand paper down to the ceramic, wipe with acetone. Use the ultra copper stuff to glue.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Permatex copper is the one most use I think

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I used one of these for removing the factory gaskets on all four of my eggs.  You can get them at almost any hardware store.  I scraped the big stuff off with a putty knife and used the stripper for the rest.  No acetone needed.  Use Permatex Ultra Copper to adhere the Rutland and don't forget to "bunch" the gasket a little.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I got egg warm (about 30 mins small fire) scraped with putty knife.
    I then went over it with a pumice stone. I final cleaned with denatured alcohol and installed the Rutland with Permatex copper.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2012
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    I used one of these for removing the factory gaskets on all four of my eggs.  You can get them at almost any hardware store.  I scraped the big stuff off with a putty knife and used the stripper for the rest.  No acetone needed.  Use Permatex Ultra Copper to adhere the Rutland and don't forget to "bunch" the gasket a little.

Mike

EXACTLY the way I did it.  Holding up perfectly.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    Get the egg warm, not hot. Use a metal scraper to remove old gasket. Clean with sand paper down to the ceramic, wipe with acetone. Use the ultra copper stuff to glue.
    +1 I love the smell of nasty solvents in the morning.