Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty?

Options
jad
jad Posts: 70
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
what happens if you purchased a BGE privately but it is brand new still in box. Is there any type of warranty from BGE.
I assume the BGE was won in a contest/giveaway.
What is the risk of buying a NEW BGE privately ?

thanks
Cary NC

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Not sure how that all shakes out, but it is my understanding you have to retain proof that you purchased the unit directly from a authorized dealer for any warranty consideration.  Others more knowledgeable should be chiming in!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited October 2012
    Options

No receipt from an authorized dealer = No warranty

Doesn't matter if it was purchased new in box or not.  No receipt from an authorized dealer means you are SOL.

I'm glad the new leadership at corp. is getting tough about the receipt thing.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I called a few months ago. They said either a recipt or a warranty card was fine. I'm not sure if they recently changed it but that's what they told me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought at an authorized dealer but he never gave me the card, said he was supposed to keep it. I do have my receipt though.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I registered my parents online with a number inside the dome. I had to fill out the place of purchase and everything but there was a choice that was received as a gift that you don't have to supply the place you bought it. If you get a brand new one with a warranty card that someone won you should be ok but I wouldn't recommend buying a used egg without it. I unpacked my parents egg and put it together and I don't remember seeing a warranty card either but I'm sure they kept the receipt. I wonder if registering it is good enough proof for the warranty?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The spirit of what they are doing is one new egg - one lifetime registered customer.  Find out where (store) it came from.  I doubt it was already registered if it's new in the box.  If it wasn't sold through a registered dealer, like Costco, that serial number might be flagged in their database as sold to non-dealer.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Business is business, but I just don't get BGE's policy. They control the supply of eggs and accessories. They have approved distributors with established dealer networks. How do unauthorized dealers or unauthorized retail outlets like Costco obtain product? Are they purchased by an unauthorized retailer from BGE directly with BGE's knowledge? Are they purchased from distributors selling outside the approved dealer network? Are they items that fell off the back of a truck? 
    It would seem to me the only way a product can be declared as "No Warranty - not purchased from an authorized source" and get into the public's hands is if BGE or their distributor knowingly breaks the chain of authorization. How the hell does Costco get product and how could the public be expected to know that BGE will not honour warranty? Has anyone ever seen their authorized dealer's contract with BGE declaring them to be what they claim to be? 
    Regardless, unless your warranty registration is in the stone age, each and every product with a unique ID (dome number) could be registered once to the initial purchaser, regardless of source. If you want to maintain the integrity of sale only through authorized outlets, it should be BGE's responsibility to control their distribution channels. 
    Thanks to this forum and some research done before purchase I was aware of what can only be considered one of the most ridiculous warranty policies I have ever seen. Knowing that, I still looked for an authorized dealer and agreed to play BGE's game. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Options
    I think the warranty is pretty straight forward and not ridiculous at all. Great warranty. One of the best I have seen.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "How the hell does Costco get product and how could the public be expected to know that BGE will not honour warranty?"

Simple. Vendor buys lots of Eggs. Goes broke. Corporate person surrenders Eggs and other assets to lenders. Lenders dump the Eggs to Costco, or whoever, for whatever they can.

The Eggs are no longer under the record of a registered dealer, and whoever buys them has no double check from a dealer to show the item was not stolen. No warranty.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I think it is absurd that I am required to maintain a copy of my receipt for the rest of my life in order to validate the warranty should I need it. If they sell itto me through an "authorized" dealer, shouldn't the dealer have the "authority" to register the product for me? Or must I fill out the stupid card, put it in the mail, and file the receipt in a cabinet that accompanies me through my lifetime? How much warranty fraud can happen with 100-200 pound ceramic eggs that they need such an antiquated system? And if BGE were willing to sell the egg to any other business, what does it matter who owns it in the end?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    gdenby said:
    "How the hell does Costco get product and how could the public be expected to know that BGE will not honour warranty?"

Simple. Vendor buys lots of Eggs. Goes broke. Corporate person surrenders Eggs and other assets to lenders. Lenders dump the Eggs to Costco, or whoever, for whatever they can.

The Eggs are no longer under the record of a registered dealer, and whoever buys them has no double check from a dealer to show the item was not stolen. No warranty.
    Believe me I like the lifetime warranty, that's why I found a credible dealer. And I like BGE, that's why I bought one. 
    In the situation described, has the vendor who is now broke, paid the distributor for the egg inventory? If the distributor is just one of many creditors and chooses not to buy back the eggs, I can see how eggs might get out of the distribution chain. I can't believe this happens all that often and to the extent that Costco, would be buying eggs in the quantities of ones, twos or even tens from a vendor's inventory. Last spring there were BGE's in Costco's everywhere, I can't believe that Costco bought some vendor's inventory and then shipped eggs all over north America. 
    If BGE and the distributor has been paid for the over extended vendor's inventory, what is the downside of BGE honouring a warranty they, and their distributors have been paid for? There must be something else.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No way any dealer would have enough eggs, especially mediums, to put them in all the Costcos in US and Canada

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I wish BGE had a PR representative active in these forums to clear this stuff up.  Let's all threaten to defect to Primos unless they start givin' a sh*t about their active customers.  ;)
    Options
    I think it is absurd that I am required to maintain a copy of my receipt for the rest of my life in order to validate the warranty should I need it. If they sell itto me through an "authorized" dealer, shouldn't the dealer have the "authority" to register the product for me? Or must I fill out the stupid card, put it in the mail, and file the receipt in a cabinet that accompanies me through my lifetime? How much warranty fraud can happen with 100-200 pound ceramic eggs that they need such an antiquated system? And if BGE were willing to sell the egg to any other business, what does it matter who owns it in the end?
    And you want to pray the receipt is not printed on heat sensitive paper as 90% of them are, because in 5 years you will not be able to read it. You have it exactly, the dealer should do all the work and provide you with a registration certificate. 
    Further Grill Dome and Kamado Joe offer limited lifetime warranties that are easy to register. Even Primo's 20 year is structured such that you don't have to keep a receipt. I am not saying that that's the way to go, I'm just saying there is something more to this than meets the eye. 
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Once you register your egg, you don't need your receipt.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

I wish BGE had a PR representative active in these forums to clear this stuff up.  Let's all threaten to defect to Primos unless they start givin' a sh*t about their active customers.  ;)

Woop woop!!!!!! Let me see your war face!!!!!!!!!!! :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Woop woop!!!!!! Let me see your war face!!!!!!!!!!! :ar!
    It's very piratey: :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :a
    Options
    You guys are hilarious =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Once you register your egg, you don't need your receipt.
    All the fun aside, what proof do you have you registered your egg? As i recall, there was no confirmation that the Dome code I registered was for a BGE or the launch code for an ICBM. Like most of the folks here, I trust it happened correctly. To date, I have no reason to doubt the value of the warranty, but then again, I've never used it. 

And as @nolaegghead noted above and what I took from the post from @travisstrick regarding lump prices, BGE probably doesn't care a whole lot about their active customers anymore than any other business that sells a product that lasts for years. I for one love the product, I bought it after using and seeing one of the others, also a good product. I probably would have bought if it carried a five year warranty, but that's just me.  
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    When I bought my egg at the BGE store in Atlanta, they registered me right then. When I called to get a replacement gasket, I gave them my name and they confirmed purchase date and my address and sent my gasket. They didn't ask for a receipt or dome number or anything.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I emailed for a gasket, and they sent one out, never asked for any info.  Maybe they had it by e-mail?  I registered mine on line, plus i believe the dealer sent the card in.  (at least they filled it out in front of me)  The only question when registering on line was the stamping in the  base and other basic info.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• michigan_jason
    Options
    EggerinLA said:

No receipt from an authorized dealer = No warranty

Doesn't matter if it was purchased new in box or not.  No receipt from an authorized dealer means you are SOL.

I'm glad the new leadership at corp. is getting tough about the receipt thing.

This is not true. I registered an egg without a receipt as well. All you need is the dome numbers. I also have a friend who registered a used egg that was purchased on CL because it was never registered originally. He had his warranty claim honored as well, all mothership asked of him was a picture of the cracked base.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Call Mothership and ask if they have your registration.  I had a warranty "order" last year and all I did was send pictures to the dealer (not even where it was originally purchased) of my cracked parts and they filled out the paperwork and sent it to Corp.  Corp confirmed I was registered and shipped the parts to the dealer.  I was never asked for a receipt.  No cost to me.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I called for a new gasket and all of my info was on file.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Boys, boys, boys here is what happened with the Costco thing. No large vendor or distributer went out of business and sold it's assets to Costco (there are heavily worded contracts that BGE gets to reclaim the assets if that ever occurs). 

Costco has a little over 600 hundred locations. Let's say they forecasted selling 10 medium eggs per location = 6,000 MBGE's for the starting inventory and had option to purchase more. The suggested retail price of a MBGE is about $750. Costco, being who they are and having lots of cash negotiated their price BELOW what your corner dealer pays, I bet they paid about $400 per MBGE....perhaps even less. 

Costco doesn't provide expertise for the merchandise they sell. Often they don't sell complimentary goods or accessories. Point being: they bought below the cost of your neighborhood dealer, flooded the market with a bunch of items that require a large learning curve, and take no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Let's do the rough math. Costco made ( 6,000 X $750 = 4.5 mil) minus (6,000 X $400= 2.4 mil) = 2.3 million dollars. What did BGE make??? I bet the cost to manufacture a medium is about $100. So ( 6,000 X $400 = 2.4 mil) minus ( 6,000 x $100 = $600,000) = 1.8 million dollars.

Who won? Costco and BGE. Who lost? You and your local dealer.

Warranty claim??? Explain to me why any manufacturer wants to give out free product with shipping. To make an egg user happy??? Dude, they're not worried if you're happy; they are worried about striking next deal with a large retailer for 6,000 units. 

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Customer Service is great, if anyone has questions just email or call BGE directly. I had the green ceramic top on my egg and the BGE cover on top of that, as I pulled off the cover in the humid Oklahoma summer the ceramic top stuck to the cover but I didn't notice it until it came crashing down onto my paver floor and busting into many pieces. I just started using the daisy wheel and didn't think much of it. But one day I decided to email big green egg just to see if there was anything they could do. At first they asked where I bought it and for a picture, I gave them my dealers name and said it had gotten swept up and I had no pictures. I got a reply the next day asking for my address and they sent me out a new top and some gasket material to get a snug fit. 

That is pretty good service in my book!

I happen to have a great dealer that takes care of gaskets, has a good selection of accessories and  great suggestions for rubs and other cooking ideas. They also used to be the one who had the Oklahoma City Eggfests but didn't do one this year for some reason.  Between BGE corporate and them I am one happy Egghead!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I just emailed BGE this week with pictures of my burned gasket and the PICTURE OF MY RECEIPT they asked for..

They haven't gotten back to me yet though I'm certain they will. Just seems like a lot of hassle for a cheap gasket replacement.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I would recommend registering it as a gift if you buy it (but list where it was purchased from).  And keep the receipt.  Hopefully they won't ask you for a receipt, but you'll have one if they do.
    @maskedmarvel I had better luck with a phone call versus an email. I tried email and no response for a week. I called and had a return call the next day.
    Mark Annville, PA