Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Thermopen or BGE instated thermometer?

GolfanaticGolfanatic Posts: 33
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've heard great things about the thermopen but just came across an instaread thermometer from the BGE brand. Has anyone tried this one or could recommend one over the other and why? Please help. Thanks,
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    The BGE is a Maverick PT-100.  Here are the reviews. 

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Pro-Temp-Commercial-Thermometer-PT-100/dp/B002Q4TQI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349927604&sr=8-1&keywords=PT-100

Compare to the Thermapen

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer-Professional/dp/B003P601S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1349927667&sr=1-1&keywords=thermapen

The Thermapen uses a thermocouple, which are superior to the thermistors, which I'm pretty sure, given the price (thermocouples are expensive, thermistors are cheap), the Maverick (BGE) uses.

·
  • Do yourself a favor and buy a Thermopen.  You won't regret it.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,187
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Thermopen.  You won't regret it.
    +1, the Maverick PT-100 uses a K type thermocouple, similar to the Thermapen, so does the CDN TCT572 The Thremapen simply works. The CDN takes at least 10 seconds to even come close to temp, the PT100 is hit and miss. Thermapens are on sale right now.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    thanks for the clarification - I just assumed it used thermistors like the ET73. 

·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 258
    Where is the Thermopen on sale? I love my purple one.
    Looking for a couple of special Christmas gifts.
    Thanks
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 826
    Sale is on the Thermopen site. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,249
    Dan4BBQ said:
    Where is the Thermopen on sale? I love my purple one.
    Looking for a couple of special Christmas gifts.
    Thanks

Purple is the fastest. Just to start a war..  =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 176

I would have thought the fastest version would be the one that has flames coming off it!

ThermaPen Limited.JPG
    342 x 310 - 17K
    ·
  • Thanks for the clarification.  I love how my ipad auto-corrects instaread to instated.  I guess instaread isn't a word but it should be.  Good info in here and I am on the email blasts for when the thermapens go on sale.  Since I have been on there they have sold the brown and yellow for $79.  I'm gonna wait for a better deal.
    ·
    Speaking of waiting, CDN is a good company, that makes some great products. They released the TCT572 last spring as a direct "replacement" for the Thermapen. Trouble is it is not nearly as quick. I ordered one, returned it rather than wait for CDN to replace under warranty. They are planning a re-release. If they improve the electronics to read in three seconds, like Thermapen, it could be a good product. Price will be in the $70 range - so you can get a known with Thermapen for $80. 
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 258
    I agree---purple is the fastest .7 seconds
    ·
  • makismakis Posts: 80
    Very happy.. I ordered mine today!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,447
    No question at all buy the Orange Thermopen. Consumer Reports  said Orange is the fastest by far. It is just pure science......
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
    That's because nothing rhymes with it.

·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 192
    If my old gray on can do it 3 seconds, you would not even have to open up the one with the flames on it just pass it over what ever cooking.  :>

·
    Ellis said:
    If my old gray on can do it 3 seconds, you would not even have to open up the one with the flames on it just pass it over what ever cooking.  :>
    Perfect - just perfect = LOL!
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 176

By the way, the price on the special edition thermapens (flames/zebra stripe) just dropped from $96 to $89, same price as the single-color thermapens.  I'm glad I was too busy to place the order today.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_limited_edition.html

·