Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Can Pork Tenderloin be used for pulled pork?

abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 246
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought two 4 lb pork tenderloins thinking I could use them to make pulled pork (like a pork shoulder). My question is, can I cook these low and slow (225 to 250) till the meat reaches 200 and then pull them for sandwiches? Thanks again for all the help!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• tgklemantgkleman Posts: 213
    Sounds like some expensive pulled pork.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,576
    I haven't tried it, but the general consensus is there is not enough fat in a tenderloin.  You can do it...but it might be dry.  My $.02, I would cook this as a roast and get some butts to make pulled pork ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
    edited October 2012
    Not what you want but I just slice it and use it for sandwich or biscuit. I don't think it's work well for pulling.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 18,014
    ive seen posts where its been done from clayq,  cut it into sections, grill to 140 for some color, braise it in foil with apple juice and cider vinegar until its tender enough to fall apart. sauce it well, i think he used an applesauce type base but it will be dry without a fair amount of sauce. i think with the braise it will be only a few hours, and the pull will be finer than a butt without as much flavor, but why not
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,270
    I agree with fishlessman.  Braise with lots of moisture.  Maybe a pressure cooker.  Not a lot of flavor there, but you can create your own with seasonings.
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• Season well, wrap in bacon...cook raised direct at 350ish until done.  Tenderloin would dry out IMO if you took it to pulling temp.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,290
    No. Just like you can't get blood from a turnup.
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    You don't want to use them for pulled pork.  Just cook them and enjoy them.
  • I've had it. Don't do it. Why not just make some awesome tenderloins and go buy a shoulder to do PP?

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,292
    Cook low and slow lots of smoke, wrap in bacon if you like, alternate - cover with bacon, don't cover so the smoke hits the meat. Internal of 140 or so, then crisp on a sear. Slice thin and away you go. 
    Alternate, wrap a bacon around. cut the tenderloin like a fillet. Grill it, also very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.