Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm no engineer, but I'm not stupid

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I own a large V rack I purchased from my BGE dealer so I assume I have the official "eggcessory" and not some knock off. Ever since I happened to read the product description I have been perplexed. Specifically it reads, "Designed for smoking hams, roasts, vension, large fish etc." (I assume in the center of the V, right? with me so far?) Then it goes on and says, In INVERTED position it becomes a rack for ribs, chops etc." What am I missing here that the inverted position has over the upright position?...a smig closer to the fire? There's no more rack space on one side than the other. Sign me a perplexed kat...perhaps with too much time on my hands, but perplexed just the same! ^oo^~

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    one feral kat,
    The inverted rack holds the ribs in a vertical position. That way you can get up to 6 baby back racks into the Egg. Otherwise the max is probably three. Closer to the fire has nothing to do with it.
    JimW

• JimW, you mean like standing them vertically to the fire? How could they ever get cooked uniformly? You're pulling my leg aren't you? Anbody got a picture? Of the rack, not JimW pulling my leg![p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    one feral kat,
    Look on TimM's site. The eggfest 200 pictures show both Cat's and my ribs in rib racks. I believe Cathy's is the v-rack style, where mine is a different style rib rack.[p]Lemme know if you can't find the pics.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • one feral kat,
    With the roast, etc. rack in the inverted position, the racks of ribs are inserted into the now apparent slots of the inverted roast rack.[p]With indirect heat, there is not going to be a very large temperature gradient between the top of the rack of ribs and the bottom of the rack of ribs. If it is of concern to you, invert the rack of ribs half-way through the cooking process. Don't invert the rib rack holding the rack of ribs -- :~))[p]Pete

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Here's one pic from Tim M's site that shows the rib rack:
    3-1.jpg[p]Don't mean to steal anyone's thunder. I've been trying to get this one thing to install properly at work for the past 2 days and I'm literally about to kick in my monitor screen and I need to occupy myself somehow so I don't do that...[p]Frustratedly yours,
    Cornfed

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    xxfest004.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,
    Here is a picture on ribs placed in an inverted v-rack. This Cat's picture at EGGfest 2000.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    one feral kat,
    She does her ribs, as I do, direct not indirect and they come out great.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    JJ,[p]I learned from the master. ;-}[p]Cathy

• JimW, Sorry about that the pictures tell the story as you did in written form. I just never CONSIDERED standing them on edge. I haven't done more than two racks at a time so I guess that was part of my problem. If nothing else I see my V rack is different than the two pix shown so far.
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    one feral kat,[p]I often use a Weber rib rack; it holds the slabs at a slant, which makes them a bit easier to move/remove.[p]If the fire has hot spot, I rotate the entire rib rack midway through the cook; occasionally I'll flip individual slabs to put the other end closer to the fire, but this usually isn't necessary. They cook evenly.[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat, ya see, they have to cover all the bases. The fish?? Dunno, maybe a SS mesh??
    I did 10 racks of baby backs for fathers day

flat and no flips..except to swap the positions of two grills. One suspended above the other over indirect heat at 225F.
    My "official" rib rack is reserved for a occassional turkey, or beef roast..!
    cheers..C~W[p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    MT559.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,
    This is Cat at Eggtoberfest using a v- rack for ribs.
    YB

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    one feral kat apologies to JimW,
    No apologies necessary
    JimW

• JimW, no, seriously I thought you were pulling my leg and I tried to say good naturedly, fine, then somebody show me a picture. My being a smarty *ss on this board bothered me enough last night to seriously think about abandoning my moniker and just lurking from now on. I relearned the good lesson about "never miss a chance to shut up"!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat, One thing we try to do is get involved in mistakes...and no worry about apologies. We learn from em.
    Ribs have been done in many ways flat, no flip, flipping every 45 minutes, to edge cooking. One of the tips I found long ago was when edge cooking always keep the thick butt end up to the meat bastes itself from the thicker fat end. When doing them flat on the grill, I find doing them bone side down (as per another tip) requires no flipping..at least in my humble abode.
    Everyone to their own methods...and the best is what works for you.
    Cheers..C~W[p]