Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger secrets

Options
2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    henapple said:
    Turnip greens smoked with salt pork on top. My favorite burgers, which I haven't tried on the egg: 2 thin 5" Patties stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bacon and feta cheese. Just a dash of allegro right before cooking.
    I have been making burgers this way for years! This is a solid method, and the juices from whatever you put inside are just extra! Also I take a large amount of hidden valley ranch powder and mix it in the beef. Try it, you won't regret it!

I was in savannah, ga couple weeks ago visiting a friend. He made a burger on his gasser while I was there but he did that hidden valley ranch trick. Was not bad.
    Boom
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    What does freezing a burger or steak before cooking do? I have never heard of that before.

Firms the burger up so it doesn't fall apart on the grill. I put my burgers rock solid frozen on a quit hot grill.  Great sear marks and medium rare in the middle.  I haven't tried it with steak.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Made a couple 8 oz umami burgers tonight - fish sauce, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper and diced green onions.  Loosely mixed and loosely packed into patties, froze about an hour then threw on the egg, provolone at the end.  Toasted some bread on egg.  Delicious.

Sorry no final product pictures.  I was too hungry.

Options
    As I suggested above and you repeated with the exact recipe, Umami burgers are freaking good.
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    *smacks head with palm, why didn't I think of the freezer, I have tried everything else,

lately my favorite has been homemade dijon mustard, basil and cheddar, 

just pulled some ground out of the freezer to try the umami burger this weekend, 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    How come you never hear about pork burgers?

LawnRanger on the other forum makes them all the time....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    @noleegghead I've seen that but this was different. It was literally 100% burger. Guy took bacon thru meat grinder. Pattied up and grilled.
    Years ago when we lived in NE, a friend who owned a pig farm would routinely provide us with ground pork.  Prepared in hamburger style, it was like eating a pork rib burger.  Outstanding. Mixed with bacon would have been OTT!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yum.  We buy ground pork now and then mostly for Asian dishes.  I'd like to give it a shot.  Maybe cook low and slow to 140 F internal with a sear.
    Options
    Made a couple 8 oz umami burgers tonight - fish sauce, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper and diced green onions.  Loosely mixed and loosely packed into patties, froze about an hour then threw on the egg, provolone at the end.  Toasted some bread on egg.  Delicious.

Sorry no final product pictures.  I was too hungry.

I've done the fish sauce thing and don't love it. I have been using finely diced anchovies mixed with the beef, veal and/ or pork for years

Steve 

Caledon, ON